• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 11 inch brake does not have the adjusting lever or the cable guide. Is this a normal setup?

MK-hemi

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
Total installation by a performance shop included hoses, lines, cylinders, springs, shoe and drums. Did the shop just not replace these parts? Also the braking brake is not engaging and therefore the lever is not releasing. No original pictures available. Previous owner past away and car sat for a while. Car have not been driven very much since the brake job. Have a leaking left rear cylinder that caused the reservoir way empty. Performance shop is out of business. Any help is appreciated!

Type of car - brakes location - front or rear......more info needed.

Pictures of what you're trying to achieve will help exponentially.

Type of car - brakes location - front or rear......more info needed.

Pictures of what you're trying to achieve will help exponentially.
66 Dodge Charger Hemi. Both rear drum brakes are missing these items. Manual brakes no power. Single master cylinder. Appears to 11 inch. Am I missing any additional information you need?

1966 did not have self-adjusting hardware, correct.

A 66 won't have self adjusting brakes... No cable, cable guide, lever... it should have all the E brake parts, the parking brake strut, parking brake lever & cable...

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 6.42.23 PM.png

I don't like that bottom traverse spring I think? Seems like that one was heavier gauge/fatter,
as it retains the adjuster wheel adjustment as well as pulling the shoes together.
Further - why is that press-in pin down there near the star wheel?
Here's a shot of my originals from back when I rebuilt all mine:
existing rear brakes right.jpg

Hard to find the correct spring for manual adjust.
that one will work

that lower pin is for 1970 and up self adjuster
lever. No problem, same shoes.

Am I missing any additional information you need?
I'm just trying to help you and help everyone out there who may also wish to help you.

So far in the 12 years you've been a member here, you have 3 posts to your name.....and they're all in this thread. Without knowing what type of brake and car you have, everyone is just guessing.

As @R413 said that lower spring will work, but I suggest you reverse it.

I'm just trying to help you and help everyone out there who may also wish to help you.

So far in the 12 years you've been a member here, you have 3 posts to your name.....and they're all in this thread. Without knowing what type of brake and car you have, everyone is just guessing.
Thank You.
I don't like that bottom traverse spring I think? Seems like that one was heavier gauge/fatter,
as it retains the adjuster wheel adjustment as well as pulling the shoes together.
Here's a shot of my originals from back when I rebuilt all mine:
View attachment 1349797
Thanks Moparedtn, the spring seemed reversed is what I thought until I saw diagrams with the adjusting lever. I will correct the spring when I replace the leaking cylinder.

I'm picking that either the early cars didn't have the star wheel 'holding finger' or it is just plain missing from both your cars. Here is a shot of my rear - granted it is a 10 inch brake, but it is still a '68....

1664423034799.jpeg

The pressed in pin actually locates that star wheel finger plate.

I'm picking that either the early cars didn't have the star wheel 'holding finger' or it is just plain missing from both your cars. Here is a shot of my rear - granted it is a 10 inch brake, but it is still a '68....

View attachment 1349840

Someone added later brakes to your 68....

Someone added later brakes to your 68....
After just spending 40 minutes digging through the factory service manual I'm gonna retract that statement.... It appears in 68 some cars got self adjusting brakes & some didn't.. No explanation of what did or did not get them... Currently I own a 68 Coronet R/T that came with four wheel 11" drums & no self adjusters... When I get done building it it will have self adjusters on the rear... And discs up front....

In the past I owned a 68 Charger R/T also with four wheel 11" drums.. No self adjusters...

We all know what is being created in the photo below right? Elephino

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 11.21.56 PM.png

View attachment 1349840

That's the rascal, yep. From what I understand, that's a tough one to find anymore.

After just spending 40 minutes digging through the factory service manual I'm gonna retract that statement.... It appears in 68 some cars got self adjusting brakes & some didn't.. No explanation of what did or did not get them... Currently I own a 68 Coronet R/T that came with four wheel 11" drums & no self adjusters... When I get done building it it will have self adjusters on the rear... And discs up front....

In the past I owned a 68 Charger R/T also with four wheel 11" drums.. No self adjusters...

We all know what is being created in the photo below right? Elephino
OP has a '66, but that doesn't matter I don't think...
The whole self-adjuster vs. none thing is indeed sort of confusing to me, after doing way too much research on it.
My own experiences with b-bodies almost exclusively over the decades is much like yours in this case, as I never
owned one with self-adjusters on it (and some were still outfitted with factory brakes when I bought 'em).
That said...

I checked out the FSM for 1966 (thought I'd had enough of researching Mopar drum brakes the last couple years... :) ).
According to that particular FSM, from what I can tell self-adjusters were in use except for "heavy duty and police".
The FSM shows the typical Bendix self-adjuster setup on all sizes OR the heavy spring passing over the star wheel,
as Fran and others have shown.
*sigh*

I wound up adding self-adjusters to the rears - and leaving them off the fronts, after a lot of trial and error.
The car just works better that way. I won't pretend to understand why.

Early and mid 1960s. The "heavy duty" bigger 11" brakes like on cop cars and performance models like R/T and GTX had manually adjusted brakes. The smaller 10" brakes like on regular family cars had the self adjusting brakes. Why? Who knows. But that's Ma Mopar for ya....

Auto Transport Service
Back