• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66' Belvedere electric Ignition Conversion

mr.bluesky66

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66' Belvedere with a small block which I converted to electronic ignition. If I try to start it from a cold start it will fire and run for about one or two seconds then dies. Wether I hold the key switch on or not. It is getting gas and I am certain it is an electrical issue. It also was running fine. The entire system was installed new distributer, wireing loom, orange box, voltage regulator, rotor, cap, wires, resistor block and coil (petronics flame thrower). When I pull the wire at the distributor cap (or spark plug) I get no spark at all. I have replaced the key switch, and rotated in a different distributor, electronic ignition module, coil. and resistor block. Auto electrics have always been a weakness. This has reduced my convertible to a giant paper weight and is blocking my RoadRunner in the garage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First thing to check is the Orange Box and then get ride of it. The Chrome Box is so much better. I have never stayed with the Orange ones and have had absolutely no issues with the Chrome ones. Most Orange Boxes are know to be failures....

Is there some kind of fault protector integrated with the Ignition system? It sounds like its tripping a breaker and shutting down due to a short somewhere. Could be a manufacturer defect. Anyone else got any ideas?

when it shuts down you will need to check voltage at each point in the system to see where you are loosing your signal.before and after each item.balast,ign module,pick up.eventually you will figure out where your power loss is at.check for good grounds as well.short vibrations can cause you to lose loose ground contact.

Sorry to hear your woes. Here is another option, although with what you have into yours you don't know if you want to change directions.

On my `66 Poly 318 I went with the Skip White HEI Distributor ($64.50 w/ shipping!). It's an 'all-in-one' setup. Changed nothing else and have had no problems. Well, I did 'gut' the back of the balast resistor and soldered in a piece of 18 gauge wire...you could simply unplug the balast and jumper the wires if you are not picky on looks. Other than that, it's plug and play. You will have to change plug wires to fit their 'male ended' cap. Great time to upgade to some 8mm MSD Sure Fires if you go this route.

Give them a call.

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/listview.aspx?Product=A&Sub=C

Auto Transport Service
Back