• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Charger. Pedal cable not fulling opening carburetor throttle.

jmbass98

Local time
7:53 PM
Reaction score
Replaced factory 2bbl intake and Carter with Edelbrock 383 Performer and 1411 4bbl. Putting the gas pedal to the floor will no longer fully open the carburetor throttle. Will this affect shifting if proper pressure is not being applied to the kickdown? How do I correct this in general? I do have correct #1481 brackets and such installed.

Edit: 361 in the car.

You likely have the clamp on the cable sheath tightened in the wrong location (too far forward).
Try loosening and pull the cable sheath towards the firewall as far as possible without moving the throttle arm.
We will need pictures of the kickdown linkage to see if that is setup correctly.

Start with getting the throttle to move the whole way and then mess around with the downshift linkage. There should be a little slop (1/8") when it's at idle, if not adjust the cable so it's around there. Then find a helper to stuff the pedal to the floor and hold it, (my helper is a hammer that reaches up to the dash). Whit the pedal firmly on the floor look at the throttle blades and push it to be sure it can't go further. If it can, look at the linkage of the carb and determine if you can drill a hole a little closer to the pivot. With the attachment point closer to the pivot it won't take as much pedal travel to get the throttle to wide open. Once all this is done and the test yields proper WOT, then adjust the downshift linkage. If you leave the hammer in there at WOT you can then adjust the linkage so that when pushed back all the way you can just fit it on (without pushing the throttle off of WOT). Put it all back together and test.

Mine was originally a 361 two barrel as well. If you look at these pictures you will see that the previous owner had to clamp the throttle cable behind the ferrule to get full throttle. You can also see the bent and cobbled two barrel kickdown linkage. Amazingly it all works, but it will be replaced this winter when I change the intake. I have a four barrel throttle bracket which will move the cable clamp up and forward. Not sure what I am going to do with the kickdown linkage yet. I may have to cut and reweld it

old carb adapter.jpg old carb.jpg

16011437261421983411310810292669-jpg.jpg

Sorry... was not able to get a picture today. This is an outdated photo. I have the kickdown arm correctly (I think) set up to sit as far forward as possible on the throttle pin. My issue with that is it sits at an angle and not flush with the pin... It is slightly bent the other side. I'll try bending it the other way, but are there replacement arms readily available made for a 4bbl application?

As for the throttle cable (purpose of the thread)... I read around and saw that a lot of people bend the throttle cable bracket at the back of the manifold to make the throttle cable sit better. I'm still unsure if that will give me enough extra cable length to properly achieve WOT. I might have to replace it for a longer cable... Thoughts? I could also buy a 4bbl bracket if that will not work.

The four barrel bracket would not only correct the angle of the throttle cable, it would move the cable clamp forward. You should not need a new cable if you get the correct bracket.

What about the angle of the kickdown rod? What should I do about that?

Not sure how the kickdown will line up with the four barrel bracket yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back