• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 Satellite manual conversion

Ben Simpkins

Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
My satellite is currently an auto on the floor with a 440 and I'm thinking about dropping in a 4 speed manual and I wanted to know if I will have to cut any metal for the shifter or clutch pedal and will any problems come out of swapping it?

Pedals will bolt in. You’ll need to get the sheet metal floor hump, cut a hole in the floor and weld in the hump. You’ll also need to weld the bracket on the frame rail for the frame end of the clutch torque arm pivot. Also will need a new rug made for the floor hump.

You will have to add a 4-speed hump and cut the tunnel under it. You will have to weld in a Z bar pivot on the left frame rail. You may also have to drill the holes for the 4-speed petals. Other than the above things, just have or acquire the proper parts.

You also have to get a pilot bearing into the rear of the crank. It may, or may not, be drilled for it.
In 1975, I had a 66 Sport Fury with a 383, auto. The trans went out, so I put in a 4 speed. It was a huge hassle, and was never just right.
I would not do it again, I should have just replaced the auto.

Last edited:
You need to check the bearing retainer hole to make sure it's centered with the crank. Getting discouraged yet?:D
ba.JPG
ba1.JPG

For the whole kit and caboodle from Brewers you're looking at upwards of $5,000, plus cost of installation if you can't do it yourself.

I looked into this for my 1970 Plymouth Satellite, as I was upgrading the 318 to a 440. I thought a 4 speed would be awesome and make the car more fun, more rare, and more valuable. Well, it certainly would have done all those things, but my goodness the cost. I'm in Canada, so using the Brewer's kit, which doesn't include the tranny itself, plus machining the crank for the pilot bushing, was over $10,000. I just can't justify it. I spent $2500 on a rebuilt 727 and 2800 stall, and it is absolutely fine. Just my two cents. I do most of my own work, but this was too much. If I ever build another car, it will be a manual for sure, but it's just easier to pay the extra and start with one usually.

Agree, big bucks to go buy a kit. May take awhile to buy piece by piece. It will make you think twice. Did my 65 Dodge before ebay and prices went UP. Blowshield $75, pedals $40, 18 spline trans $300 and a 10.5" flywheel $100. The rest were normal prices.

Last edited:
so using the Brewer's kit, which doesn't include the tranny itself, plus machining the crank for the pilot bushing, was over $10,000.

The transmission is part of the kit. It was on my quote, I'm sure of it.

I had another look at my Brewer's quote - the transmission is included of course, as well as carpet, the carpet strips for either side of the console, the correct console lid, the shifter, basically absolutely everything you need. It may be expensive, but the kit is very comprehensive.

Yeah, that was my mistake. I'm was sure that when I emailed them they had said you have to find an A-833, but that was incorrect. Thanks for the correction.

Auto Transport Service
Back