• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 Satellite wheel tire size

Kyle Smith

Local time
4:12 AM
Reaction score
Morning all, I'm gonna be looking to finally ditch the stock 14" rims and tires and upgrade. I've done a significant amount of suspension improvement and would like to add some wheels and tires that allow me to take advantage of that.

What are some popular wheel and tire size combinations for 66' B-Bodys? Is there a chart or anything for backspacing and all that?

let's start with the cheapest 15x7 cop wheels or 15 x 6 1/2 off a Wagon
you want at least 15" if you ever go to "12" discs
you want custom or aluminum try 4 1/2 inch backspacing? but try for fit
you do not want the weights being knocked off on the top of the upper arm outside of the upper ball joint or hitting on the tie rod
larger diameters make this clearance easier
how much ride quality do you want to put up with with low aspect tires? or pothole damage to your shiny new rims and tires?
I think I ended up with 225 60 15 on a b body but it's been a long time definitely thhe 73 B Body had no problem with those wheels and even 235 tires
What was the backspacing on the trans am 8" wheels anyone remember?
what suspension upgrades?

I agree, 15“ rims will give you the widest variety of tyres. 15x7 are right, and depending on how stock you‘d like your Satelite to look, there‘s a choice of 205/70R, 215/65 or 225/60, all of them with a similar overall diameter. I went with V-rated 215 Dunlop Blue Response which offer amazing grip and look good too, without loosing too much of a stock stance.

342E0139-B2F0-4C74-B74C-EC2088074598.jpeg B59A6D1C-A1C0-4BE4-A5EB-6490E806BE91.jpeg

Back spacing is very important . You want wheel centered in wheel well, and maybe a little bais toward the spring. Had L60 15s with 3.5 or 4 inches rubbed on corners. If you want I'll measure the wheel bs on them. Ran H60s x 15s on front.
1983.jpg

On my '66 Belvedere II with the stock rear end (no sway bars...but it does have air shocks), I am running Cragar SS...15x7 with 4.125" backspace and P255/60Rs out back. I wanted the widest tire i could fit. The tires can lightly touch sidewall to outer wheelhouse when cornering and the suspension dips on a curvey road. I don't hear it, but can see minute scratches in the outer sidewalls where the tire bulges. It runs above the white lettering, so I am not too concerned about it. A rear sway bar would likely reduce/ eliminate this, as it would tame body roll.

Up front are 15x6 with 3.375" backspace and P215/70Rs...They work fine.

These tire sizes are less than 1/2" difference in diameter (not noticable looking at the car).

A 4.5" backspace on the rear would have been ideal, but I didn't want to spend the extra cash on a higher end Cragar SS.

You mention a 'significant amount of suspension improvement' but don't detail what that consists of. Depending on what you have done, you may have a (small) bit more wiggle room.
IMG_20180429_132230828.jpg

Last edited:
I ran P275/60R15s on the back of my '66 Coronet wagon (15x7 Squad Wheels, 4.5" B.S.). They would scrub a bit on the inside going up/down an incline at an angle, but not terrible.

66Wagon2.jpg

running 275/60/15 MT's but i also run these, 30-9-15 slicks. no inbound leaf mods, or arch trimming, the 275 are tight but work

IMG_0189.JPG

The back spacing thing has me kinda confused so hoping another member can steer me in the right direction...

i have a 66 satellite with original wheel wells (haven't been trimmed & attached few photos of the 14's & am looking at a set of torque thrusts 15x7 with a 3.75 back spacing....

will these fit (I am thinking that I might have challenges on the inside fender wells but not sure if I have my thinking correct - I have made similar mistakes in the past)

& any ideas what my tire options would be?

the rims are used & available in town...
IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg

Had L60 x 15 4" BS on my 66 Satellite rubbed on hard corning. Getting them in/out of rear wheels involved jacking spring down with a bottle jack. My car post #4.

Auto Transport Service
Back