• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'66 slant six rough idle in drive/reverse

Ampro

Local time
9:35 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,

Thanks for welcoming me as a member

After years of being a vintage ford guy I just picked up a '66 belvedere II 225ci automatic as my summer car.

This is my first post on here, so I need a bit of advice, I'll tell you as much as I know

The car sat for long periods of time before I purchased it, (less than 2000 miles in the last 8 years) but was maintained beautifully. When I start it up, and I drive it almost daily, it fires up always on the first or second crank without any trouble usually and idles well in park. However, the second I plunk it into drive the idle goes to hell and it misfires like crazy. It doesn't improve as the car warms up so it stays this way at traffic lights etc. and becomes very frustrating. Putting the choke on evens out the idle, but needless to say kills my mpg's. With light or heavy acceleration, it comes off of idle nicely and drives without stumble or hesitation even with the choke fully off. I had it on the highway at 75mph tonight with no issues at speed what so ever, but it does backfire mildly through the carb occasionally as I decelerate. Lastly the spacer gasket at the bottom of the carb seems rather wet, even though I can't see anything leaking out.

Sorry for the long post, but what are your thoughts, float issue, clogged pilot jet, timing problem, something else all together?

Thanks

Have you replaced points, plugs and wires? Ignition in good shape over all?

Have you replaced points, plugs and wires? Ignition in good shape over all?

I usually tackle the fuel system first and then move on to the ignition second. I took the carb apart, and found it to be in better shape than I thought, but I finally found my vacuum gauge and put it on there. It showed low, but steady vacuum at idle and severely late ignition timing so I think its just a simple ignition problem. You're probably right with the plugs and points I just didn't even consider them because they all looked brand new.

Thanks for the help both of you

Tell us now how the car is performing since your last posting Ampro.

Sorry for the late update, but I haven't had much time to look at it, as work has been busy. I opened up the distributor and the points are badly corroded so that's problem #1. The ignition leads are also pretty corroded and the plugs aren't too bad, but could use replacing. I've got all the stuff for the tune up from napa save for the wires and I'm putting it into my mechanic Tuesday morning.
I'll post and update when I get the car back.

Thanks again

Problem Solved, thanks for the help everyone.

Turned out to be a bit of everything, bad points and generally the whole ignition system coupled with a dried out carb spacer gasket.
It runs as smooth as butter now pulls beautifully on the highway.

Auto Transport Service
Back