• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 versus 67 Instrument cluster

65 Dartman

Local time
1:57 PM
Reaction score
I read somewhere that tach is different between the 66 and 67 instrument cluster. What's the difference? Is there anything else that one could visually look for to differentiate between the 2 years?

Well this is the 66-67 Charger forum.. lol

the difference in the tach's is the sending unit... 66's is remote and the sender's built in on the '67..

the '66's sending unit looks like a round disc w/ 3 wires bolted to it w/ a couple of mounting tabs

(From the Charger Source Guide)

If your car is a '66, then you have a tach sending unit under the glove box that could be bad, or the tach itself could be bad, or it could be that the tach is not correctly hooked up. You can see if the sending unit under the dash is there. If you have a voltmeter, check for continuity between the gray wire on the sending unit and the - side of the coil. Then check the output of the sending unit (yellow wire) when the car is running. You should have around 1 volt or a little less at idle, and it should go up as the engine is revved up. The yellow wire is connected to the back of the tach. If there is no voltage then the sending unit is bad.

If your car is a '67, then the tach has two wires (twelve volts, and minus side of coil) plus ground. Check and see if the screw with the flag connector has continuity to the minus side of the coil. The long screw with the insulator should be connected to +12 volts, and then frame of the tach should be grounded. If your 67 tach is hooked up correctly and does not work, then the board inside the tach is probably fried.

Last edited:
Seax beat me to it.
There also is a difference in the style of lenses but that was an early year change in '66. The "satellite" and "volcano" style lens. You wouldn't have a satellite lens in a '67.

Early '66 satellite lens.

mopp_1207_002_1966_dodge_charger_second_attempt_b_body_.jpg

Late '66 and '67 volcano lens.

1966-383-dodge-charger-dash.jpg

'66 tach sender.

IMG_3796_zps4d93ebca.jpg

yeah, looks like that :laughing4:

Also, I don't think I've ever seen carpet so far up on the console like in that early '66 pic

look closer..it's a 4spd car..that's how they are..I got 2 here

basically, look at teh back of the tachs, if there are 2 nuts on the back, it's a 66....if it looks like 5 nuts on the back, it's a 67..they will not interchange

Seax beat me to it.
There also is a difference in the style of lenses but that was an early year change in '66. The "satellite" and "volcano" style lens. You wouldn't have a satellite lens in a '67.

Early '66 satellite lens.

Late '66 and '67 volcano lens.

'66 tach sender.

Hmm... I'm curious about the "volcano style" lenses... Do you have a closeup pic of the two styles?

I know it's a terrible picture, but here is mine...
IMG_2919.jpg

Hmm... I'm curious about the "volcano style" lenses... Do you have a closeup pic of the two styles?

My car is an early build with the satellite style. The two pics I posted were found by using google.

Satellite gauges are way cooler. :icon_biggrin:

and yet they still used pointy radio knobs all the way through the 66 model year.

What did they think, someone was going to impale their head on the pointy satellite dashes? First yer head has to go through the steering wheel, I doubt anyone would survive that and then be worried about little puncture wounds from the plastic dash in the forehead after going through the steering wheel.....I call BS on that theory

Nader's a nerd. I agree with Bryan, don't see how those would ever be a problem.

and yet they still used pointy radio knobs all the way through the 66 model year.

I was going to ask about that too... My radio knobs aren't pointy like I have seen in the pictures and at car shows. I would guess Grandpa did not mess with them since he liked everything factory perfect, but this makes me wonder.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I see what you're looking at that is different between the two gauge styles. It's the center piece. Sweet:)

My 66 didn't have the tach module under the center console. I have the late 66 style gauge style. Is it possible that late production 66 cars also used the 67 tach sending unit?

Seq Num of my Charger: 33109224

Auto Transport Service
Back