• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'67 Barracuda torque converter proble.

Tuco

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
I'm hoping some Mopar experts can help me out.I am restoring a 1967 Chrysler Ghia 450 SS. I'm told there are only about 25 existing so info is scarce.They used the engine/transmission out of a same year Barracuda. 273 cid v8 and I believe Torqueflight 3 speed auto.I got this project from someone who started it a couple years ago and quit. They rebuilt the 273 and the tranny and had a torque converter with it.My problem is the pilot on the TC is too big to fit into the crank.The rebuilder says he used the original crank. There is not a bushing in it.Does anyone know if Chrysler used different sizes of cranks back then?I ordered one built from Monster Transmission and even gave them the dimensions of the crank, but they sent one 2"bigger than the one I've got and the pilot was too big too.Anyone know what I can do?

tuco,
the 67' 273 crank register is smaller than the later ones. you will need a torque converter for a 67'

tuco,the 67' 273 crank register is smaller than the later ones. you will need a torque converter for a 67'
Thanks for the reply Beekeeper.The one I have is supposedly for a '67 and the people at Monster said they built theirs to '67 specs.The crank register is 1.5 and the pilot on the two torque converters is 1.815.Any idea who might have the right one?

Need trans info Is this a 904 or 727? The year of the trans is needed or the spline count on the input shaft also. It would probably be best to get the snout on your converter machined to the correct diameter. If your trans is newer than 68' there was a spline count change made to the input shaft.

Need trans info Is this a 904 or 727? The year of the trans is needed or the spline count on the input shaft also. It would probably be best to get the snout on your converter machined to the correct diameter. If your trans is newer than 68' there was a spline count change made to the input shaft.
According to the thread "Your 'Guide' to the 727/904 transmission" it is a A/LA engine A727 (top two mounting bolts 7 3/4" apart). The gasket shows a 904/A500 (square with one corner angled). The overall length is about 31 1/2 (mounting face to tail shaft seal). And the shift lever is straight like the 727. Spline count is 18.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try to post some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the tranny.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
- - - Updated - - -

A-727 transmissions from their inception until 1966 have 19 splines on the input shaft. Non-lockup 727 transmissions from 1967 onward have 24 splines. Lockup 727 transmissions that debuted in 1978 had 23 splines. A-904 transmissions from their inception until 1967 have 18 splines in the input shaft. Non-lockup transmissions from 1968 have 27 splines. The spline count and pan gasket you gave
says it's a 904

Thanks for the reply Beekeeper.The one I have is supposedly for a '67 and the people at Monster said they built theirs to '67 specs.The crank register is 1.5 and the pilot on the two torque converters is 1.815.Any idea who might have the right one?

you probably have a crank in the engine from a 318, the 273 was the only crank that had the smaller hub hole....there is an adaptor out there to fill the hole so the trans snout will fit properly, otherwise you will need to get a 273 auto crank and put that in the engine.....when I rebuilt my 273 years ago, I had to refuse 5 cranks before they found me one that was correct

you probably have a crank in the engine from a 318, the 273 was the only crank that had the smaller hub hole....there is an adaptor out there to fill the hole so the trans snout will fit properly, otherwise you will need to get a 273 auto crank and put that in the engine.....when I rebuilt my 273 years ago, I had to refuse 5 cranks before they found me one that was correct

Given the correct measurements, why not just have a machine shop make a bushing, to fit in the crank, allowing for the smaller converter ?

- - - Updated - - -

Beautiful car, thanks for posting the picture.

Look up Mako transmissions and give them a call I think they list the converter you need.

- - - Updated - - -

A-727 transmissions from their inception until 1966 have 19 splines on the input shaft. Non-lockup 727 transmissions from 1967 onward have 24 splines. Lockup 727 transmissions that debuted in 1978 had 23 splines. A-904 transmissions from their inception until 1967 have 18 splines in the input shaft. Non-lockup transmissions from 1968 have 27 splines. The spline count and pan gasket you gave
says it's a 904
Thanks BK. The spline count was confusing me. I counted the splines a dozen times trying to come up with 19. Now it makes sense. I have the correct crank and 904 trans but a 273 torque converter. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back