• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Belvedere Parking Brake

Davidrad

Local time
9:40 AM
Reaction score
This is my first b body of this 66-67 generation. How is the parking brake mechanism supposed to work? Mine doesn't ratchet or really stay down. I was told to pull up on the handle while depressing the foot lever, and then release the handle to make the lever stay. If I do that it kind of maybe stays. I'm constantly finding wrong BS on this car. I'd like to make this right. My driveway has a yell of slant to it, so I'm pretty picky about the parking brake.

You should be able to just press the lever down with your foot.
And it should ratchet as it goes down.
The hand lever is just a release.
Something is wrong there.

You should be able to just press the lever down with your foot.
And it should ratchet as it goes down.
The hand lever is just a release.
Something is wrong there.

Thanks that's what I was assuming. Now to find an aftermarket source.

Not neccesarily. Check the release cable and ratcheting lever under there, maybe just some cleaning and lube.
Could be a simple fix.
I don't think there is an aftermarket piece for a parking brake assembly.

There is a plastic bushing that is supposed to keep release spring in place (they get brittle and break) This what I did ,split a washer bend it open ,put around release shaft bend it back flat, done deal. See crude pic:poke:

20210928_152023.jpg

e-brakes are dirt cheap (around $30 is a reasonable price). Don't waste your time, just replace the damn thing. Its probably some irrepairable part in it anyway. 66-70 b-bodies are all the same.

I realize this is an older thread. But I just fixed this issue - or a similar one a few months ago. (I've been away for while) My e-brake pedal wasn't ratcheting or staying in place. Turns out the spring that applies tension to the ratcheting mechanism was missing. It's impossible to see this spring without removing the e-brake mechanism. The release handle return spring also needed the bushing Tinker67 refers to in post #5. In addition to that, the cable adjustment nut was also seized, requiring a new cable and removal of the pedal mechanism.

I ended up restoring the pedal assembly and with the new cable, properly adjusted, the e-brake works fine now. I located a bushing at my local hardware store and found a suitable spring at the local auto parts store. I altered the spring ends to match the shape needed. Wishing I had taken some photos now.

Auto Transport Service
Back