• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Charger, 727 trans question

With two guys rolling the car I could hear some dragging up front; upper control arms dragging on the wheels.

I'll probably see about some spacers for a quick fix.
How and why would the upper control arms drag on the wheels? What kind of wheels have you put on the car? Some late model FWD stuff with a lot of backspace??

In the end it was interference from the wheels I bought. I borked the offset and there was enough contact all around to make a problem.

Go ahead and flame me but with a few shallow spacers things are fine, my wheels look really awesome and no one will know. The back studs had plenty of thread but I will need to replace the front studs with something a little longer.

I suppose if I had someone around who could point out the dumb sh*t I do in person that would help, but if my biggest problem is that I outlived my friends I'm going to live with that. No pun intended.

Thanks for the time spent replying.

Glad you've found it. No reason tp be flamed. Part of the learning process. Amazing how many trans failure responses yhere were to this post. Always best to look at what work has just been done instead of speculation. This is not the first time I've seen interference from a component and have the trans blamed. A few years ago I had a customer with 4 1/2" bolt circle axles installed in his 67 A body. It still had the A body 4" bolt center backing plates. All was fine until he fully tightened the wheels. The shoes dragged on the inside of the drum. The offset of the backing plates was designed for shoes that weren't as wide.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back