• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet 440 Transmission/Console ?

John H

Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
I was told to ask this ? in this forum. (I am a new guy). So my car was originally a 318 with a 4 speed. It now has a 383 with a 4 speed ( sorry I don't know the particulars on the tranny) The previous owner told me that the postion of the shifter as it comes out of the tunnel is different from the 318 cut out. Can anyone tell me if/what console will fit this. Picture is attached. Or any other options for some type of console/arm rest etc.

Shifter 67 Coronet.jpg

No console for you!!
Maybe it's a rear shifter mount install?? Never seen something like that

Might be mounted on the rear tail shaft boss. I believe E-Bodies used that mount. Might be an E-Body shifter,. So no console is going to be an exact fit. You would need tunnel mods, a B-Body shifter with a counsel shifter handle. Then you need to find counsel mounts and all the counsel parts. Easily 1,500 by the time your close to done.

Might be mounted on the rear tail shaft boss. I believe E-Bodies used that mount. Might be an E-Body shifter,. So no console is going to be an exact fit. You would need tunnel mods, a B-Body shifter with a counsel shifter handle. Then you need to find counsel mounts and all the counsel parts. Easily 1,500 by the time your close to done.
Thank you. Everyones help is invaluable...

All 67 B body consoles are the same for 4-speeds. The automatic console shell and front top plate are different. The original 4-speed behind the 318 would have worked with the 383. I can't understand why a change was made in transmissions. In 67 there were only two 4-speed selections, one with a 23 spline input shaft and the other was a 18 spline input shaft, behind a 440 or Hemi.

I have never seen a 4-speed behind a 318 in a B-body. Either automatic or 3 on the tree. 440 series Coronets always had bench seats. Buckets and console in Coronet 500 or R/T. If your car does not have factory floor reinforcements near the transmission tunnel, it never came with bucket seats. It looks like E-body transmission with rear shifter mount. Stock shifter for '67 B-body would be farther ahead with long Inland handle with "T" reverse lock out, regardless of engine. This car has been monkeyed with.

Not many 50 plus year old cars that haven't been messed with.

What it should look like. Plymouth version.
IMG_9633.jpg

I have never seen a 4-speed behind a 318 in a B-body. Either automatic or 3 on the tree. 440 series Coronets always had bench seats. Buckets and console in Coronet 500 or R/T. If your car does not have factory floor reinforcements near the transmission tunnel, it never came with bucket seats. It looks like E-body transmission with rear shifter mount. Stock shifter for '67 B-body would be farther ahead with long Inland handle with "T" reverse lock out, regardless of engine. This car has been monkeyed with.
the VIN is WH27F77136269. I believe tihs shows the 318 with the 4 speed?

the VIN is WH27F77136269. I believe tihs shows the 318 with the 4 speed?
It shows the 318, but no 4-speed, that would be shown on the fender tag, if it's still with the car.
20211106_114424.jpg
Bottom line WP 23 41 5
The 5 indicates a automatic and a 3 in that place would be a manual transmission.

It shows the 318, but no 4-speed, that would be shown on the fender tag, if it's still with the car.
View attachment 1432375Bottom line WP 23 41 5
The 5 indicates a automatic and a 3 in that place would be a manual transmission.
Ahhhh so it was a automatic originally.
The fender tag is missing unfortunately. Thank you Jerry.

Take a look under the car at the shifter side of the trans.
Many tail shafts have both a B and E mounting points.
If you have 2 mount points and are currently using the rear most one you can correct your shifter position.

You would have to purchase B body shift arms/ levers and move to the forward mount.

Yep WH VIN (Coronet 440 model) came with a bench seat.

...and no small block cars with 4 speed manuals until 1971.

Auto Transport Service
Back