• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet rear wheel to lip clearance

glenns hc

Local time
9:04 AM
Reaction score
Folks , I have a coronet rt with dana rear . Running a set of magnum 500s with 225 70 15s.
The drivers side has more lip to side wall clearance than the passenger side , about an inch at least I’d say. I am getting a little rub when cornering to the right , other wise it’s fine. Anyone have these off set clearance issues and why do you think that is ?? Original quarters , car is straight as an arrow. Is this normal for the rear to be off set a little ??? I’m not sure the width of the rims , most probably 7 inch .
any feedback would be appreciated.

Probably just build tolerance back in the day or it had a quarter replaced at some point.

I also have a 1967 R/T, but it has an 8 3/4" in it. I had the reverse of your problem. I had clearance problems on the backside of one of my tires because I had about 1/4" difference in clearance between one side and the other. I had to put a spacer ring on one side between the rim and brake drum to even this out. I had 255R70x15's on 8" " rims on the back. Even though I had what looked like good clearance with the car sitting still, I was still getting the tires marked up when the car was moving around on its suspension through normal driving. I fixed this by adding a rear sway bar from Just Suspension. It is a copy of the bar that came on the rear of '80's Diplomat police cars. This settled the back of my R/T down and stopped my tires getting rubbed.

I also have a 1967 R/T, but it has an 8 3/4" in it. I had the reverse of your problem. I had clearance problems on the backside of one of my tires because I had about 1/4" difference in clearance between one side and the other. I had to put a spacer ring on one side between the rim and brake drum to even this out. I had 255R70x15's on 8" " rims on the back. Even though I had what looked like good clearance with the car sitting still, I was still getting the tires marked up when the car was moving around on its suspension through normal driving. I fixed this by adding a rear sway bar from Just Suspension. It is a copy of the bar that came on the rear of '80's Diplomat police cars. This settled the back of my R/T down and stopped my tires getting rubbed.
I was thinking perhaps the brackets on the rear ends was welded off set

My 67 R/T is tighter on one side than the other. Right now, I don't remember which...
(Its a dana 60 from the factory.)

Same problem with my car except I have 245 60's on 8" wheels and used the Firm Feel rear sway bar....
DSCF0076.JPG

My 67 R/T is offset at least a 1/2” also.

Once I went to see a 70 GTX for sale and the guy had the rear lip trimmed so his tires wouldn’t run on the passenger side as well , he was running very wide rims and tires

Factory tolerances were not very good, and with the skinny tires the cars came with, they didn't have to be.
I think this is probably the cause in most cases. With a uni-body car, consider all the frame and body pieces that have to be jigged up and welded together and the effect of accumulating + and - tolerances and jig slack and wear. You might try measuring from the outside of the frame rail kick up, over to the fender lip and compare. Most of the spring anchor points are pretty dependent on the frame rail placement and less so on all the wheel well and body panel positioning.

Old bushings in the shackles and front spring hangar can contribute to this problem.

In my experience, the "lip" is really not the tightest area.

Up in the well, there's a pinch point where the tub gets a LOT more restrictive.

Take a look up in there, it's pretty easy to see.

Auto Transport Service
Back