• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX AC Belt issues

To close this rant out - my problem turned out to be a Gates XL belt driving the water pump. These Gates XL cog belts are absolute junk. No mater how much I tightened the thing it would squeal like a stuck pig at 3500 rpm. I don’t think they put enough rubber in contact with the pulley grove. So I tried Dayco top cog belts for the AC and water pump drives and they appear to have cured my squealing belts. Not crazy about using cog belts but they look better than the Gates belts and function much better. End of story

I should mention I ordered 3 Dayco belts for the dual AC drive in hopes of getting two to match up in length. Couldn’t tell any difference in any of them so apparently Dayco are pretty consistent in sizing.

I was going to sent you a PM but your inbox is full. I can give you more information about belts and matched sets.

A curiosity question...
Have you checked the alternators sheave for wear? IF the sheave flank angle has or is worn, the belts may be bottoming in their grooves causing poor flank contact and slipping at higher RPM's. Another possibility may be the wrong belts. Your parts supplier may not have the correct belts (flank angle) just the ones that have a good mark up.
I've always had good luck with Dayco "Top Cog" but Goodyear or Gates have excellent products.
IF the alternators sheave is worn, it can be removed and a new sheave pressed on. Its an interference fit and must be pressed on after disseminating the alternator. The sheave is pressed on while supporting the rotor from the end of the shaft. Do not hammer it on...or the front bearing will be damaged. BTW...its a # 6203-2rs FAFNIR or SKF or RBC single row sealed and shielded ball bearing.

AR67GTX-Please empty your inbox. I have belt information that would enlighten you.

Auto Transport Service
Back