• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 gtx gas cap on 66 Satellite fitment?

gtx6970

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
Will a 67 gtx flip top gas cap fit my 66 Satellite?

If so....Do i need the trim ring?

Just looking at something to fill the need for short term and still look reasonably stock to the untrained eye

The GTX trim ring is the seal surface and place holder for the internal rubber extension. So no you can’t use the GTX cap without the trim ring.

The GTX trim ring is the seal surface and place holder for the internal rubber extension. So no you can’t use the GTX cap without the trim ring.
Ok, thanks . I picked up an aftermkt cap for now.

This will give me some time to find a correct OE cap

If you find two let me know. :) What happened to the one that was on your car?

Yep. Mandatory trim ring and two seals.

If you find two let me know. :) What happened to the one that was on your car?
Bonehead move on my part.

Got fuel yesterday and left it laying on the back of the car.

Fell off somewhere on the road.

I've gone back and walked all over the area and no signs of it.

Bonehead move on my part.

Got fuel yesterday and left it laying on the back of the car.

Fell off somewhere on the road.

I've gone back and walked all over the area and no signs of it.
I think you need a chain on the new one!

That's what I was thinking.

Lanyard of some kind.

Those caps are pricey, and an extremely high theft item.

GTX cap does resolve the problem and is actually cheaper than a standard cap, of you shop around.

IIRC Megaparts was the best pricing when I was doing mine.

I already had a used OEM cap, though so I only needed the trim ring and seals.

That’s a bummer. Hope you can find one out there.

Changing to a gtx cap is an option...but in all honesty. My last resort.

I have a cap for it. That kinda sorta looks the part. It's for a late 70s Ford truck. I will paint black.

But again....it's temporary

A 66 Belvedere II cap is a frequent custom touch on the 66 Satellite. That’s what mine came with. I looked around for a stock cap and found what I and the seller thought was one - but it wasn’t. I think it was for a Dart or Valiant. I’ve gotten used to the Belvedere cap but would still like to find a stock one someday.

IMG_0641.jpeg

I did buy whats supposed to be an original cap this morning. Should be here mid week,

Until then , I picked up a Autozone cap #6731 for now. Its chrome with a black handle.
I've already taken it apart, blasted it and painted it black. So I at least have something that kinda sorta looks close for most. Plus it covers the hole

While apart.
I redrilled the flange so the handle lines up right like the original.

Once dry.....I'll put it back together

20231117_101247.jpg

20231117_100503.jpg

20231111_083900.jpg

20231111_094906.jpg

Hmmm - how does the panel piece line up with the rear quarter profile? Does it match the curvature or is it flat?

Hmmm - how does the panel piece line up with the rear quarter profile? Does it match the curvature or is it flat?
Its flat right out of the box.
But once apart. I bent it slightly over a pipe to give it come curvature.

I'll know better once its back together and on the car. This is just a temporary measure to fill the hole unitl I found an OE cap.

Afterwards it will be simply a spare to keep around . Hopefully Ill never need it again.

OK, I hope the original you found is a correct one. The one I bought was primered, new and still in a Mopar box but probably switched at some time. The diameter and curvature were off just a little but it had two, equal size lugs instead of a small and large one And it didnt clock quite right. It was probably for an A body of some type.

When you get that Autozone one fitted please post a close up picture. If the cover can be massaged to meet the profile and the diameter is close, I might get one and play around with it.

Az cap. Now On the car.

Handle is black plastic.
Which I can get away with on a black car.

I'll get some better pics when I have the car out tomorrow afternoon

20231117_123920.jpg

20231117_123928.jpg

20231117_123947.jpg

Like I said...it ain't gonna fool anyone who knows what they're looking at.

But for $20 investment. It will work for now

20231117_124540.jpg

20231117_124531.jpg

Nice work, looks like a great temp solution. Decades ago, (late 70's), Pops left his '66 Belvedere II gas cap on top of the gas pump. He drove the almost two hour trip back to the station and found it in the lost cap box. After that we went on the hunt for a cheap alternative and started using the Ford truck caps on our '66-'67 cars.

Original are in a box in the file cabinet.
IMG_2586.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back