• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 GTX oil dipstick length

Gary Spaid

Local time
3:54 PM
Reaction score
The 67 parts book shows two different length dip sticks for the b body w/ 440 engine. 25-3/8" and 24-1/8". Anyone know which is correct? Is one for AC car and one for non-AC?
The one currently in the car is only 22-5/8" from tip to the collar at the top.

The tube is the same with either stick. I would assume the High Performance took an extra quart.

It didn't take any extra oil for a GTX, they were all 5 quarts total for 1967 440 engines. The 402 pan was on all big block b-bodies for 1967.

Last edited:
It didn't take any extra oil for a GTX, they were all 5 quarts total for 1967 440 engines. The 402 pan was on all big block b-bodies for 1967.
I wonder why they show two different length sticks when only using one tube?

Good question. They all had the same pan. If the stick is different length the tube would need to be also.

Was the dipstick tube shaped differently to clear A/C lines?

Good question. They all had the same pan. If the stick is different length the tube would need to be also.

Was the dipstick tube shaped differently to clear A

I just looked again and there is another tube called tube with clip at the very bottom of the listing. Just no clarification as to what anything really fits. If a guy did not have a dipstick how would you know which one is right. Same for the tube. Only difference I can see is maybe the performance manifold required some extra special fit.

dipstick.JPG

Looking at the catalog, the asterisk next to the part #'s indicates there is a "change or addition" Maybe it was this "clip" which was also available separately in group 10-3-10?

How about some of you with 440s go out and measure your car's dipstick and tell me what you have? I am sure mine us an aftermarket stick. Not sure about the tube itself.

I have three total....1 repro as well as as 2 originals. Total length from top of hook to end of stick is about 25" on 1 of the originals and the repro. The other original measures about 25 1/8". The hook is a bit wonky (opened up) on that one...
Measuring from the "stop" on the hook to the tip of the stick on all 3 is 21.5"

Not sure if the parts book measurement is total overall length including the hook? There could be variations in the hook's "hookedness"

Basically put your 5qts in and mark the stick for the full line LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back