• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'68 318 Muffler Size Mismatch?

videoword

Local time
5:09 PM
Reaction score
Well, I leaped before I looked and bought a 2.25" muffler for my '68 Satellite 318 thinking it would be a quick and easy swap.

Went out to the car to make sure it was a match and it looks like my tailpipe is only 1.5".

I don't even see 1.5" exhausts being sold anywhere. Did someone replace this with the wrong sizing long ago? Do I need to redo the entire exhaust? Or can they just weld this 2.25" muffler onto the skinnier piping?

Any insight appreciated!

Oh the original 318 exhaust is pretty small. Probably originally like 1.75" at least I'm pretty sure that's what was on my car.

You can find reducers and yes someone can weld it in no problem.

You can find reducers and yes someone can weld it in no problem.

Well that's good to know, at least I won't have to try and track down another obscure part!

Is having this larger exhaust in/out going to screw up my (mostly stock) performance... or am I actually going to get some extra horses out of the deal?

Plan on 2-3 extra horses. So essentially the same

Did you swap your whole system out? What do you have on there?
No, but I just replaced from the manifold cross back. Basically from the part where left and right meet back is new. I just made the new one from 2.5" pipe from O'Reilly and some pre-bent angles. Not stock, but it works.

Auto Transport Service
Back