• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger history

1968Charger27

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
Just recently bought a 68 charger and was hoping to be able to find some more info about the cars history. Build, options, etc...
I'm assuming I'm out of luck as the fender tag is long gone and no build sheet. Was told by the previous owner that it was originally a 318 car, that was all that he really knew about it.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome. I see it is your first post. Maybe introduce yourself with some photos of that Charger in the Welcome Wagon. I would agree without a build sheet or a fender tag, will be difficult to know what it originally had, other than the engine by the 5th letter of the VIN. I don't think Chrysler Historical does the punch cards for anything past 1967, but could be wrong.

Well - we're not telepathic: you're going to have to "throw us a bone" or SOME tidbit of info....

So; a 1968 Charger. If a 318, then your VIN would start XP29F8xyyyyyy. - where "x"= the code for the plant it was built at (Hamtramck (B) all year long, or St Louis (G) in the "spring" of calendar 1968) and "yyyyyy"= the car's unique serial number.

Please post some pics of the VIN and all in/around the car for clues that we might decipher any options and/or oddities?

Thanks
Mark

Well - we're not telepathic: you're going to have to "throw us a bone" or SOME tidbit of info....

So; a 1968 Charger. If a 318, then your VIN would start XP29F8xyyyyyy. - where "x"= the code for the plant it was built at (Hamtramck (B) all year long, or St Louis (G) in the "spring" of calendar 1968) and "yyyyyy"= the car's unique serial number.

Please post some pics of the VIN and all in/around the car for clues that we might decipher any options and/or oddities?

Thanks
Mark
Hard to tell from actual vin picture. 8 and B look similar in the picture.

Resized_20231110_160728.jpeg

Screenshot_20231130_162820_Messages.jpg

That's all kosher. Hamtramck built '68 318 Charger; well into the year's production. There's simply not much more we can surmise from just the VIN. Lots of pics and we could guess at equipment/options, possibly. Highly unlikely there are any VIN marks on engine or trans, so can't verify original....but if you find numbers, pretty much tells not original. I believe your engine would have a serial number - which includes a date code - stamped on the front of the block - driver's side cylinder bank directly below the head/head gasket. Transmission would also have stamped numbers on the driver's side housing rail above the pan.

That's all kosher. Hamtramck built '68 318 Charger; well into the year's production. There's simply not much more we can surmise from just the VIN. Lots of pics and we could guess at equipment/options, possibly. Highly unlikely there are any VIN marks on engine or trans, so can't verify original....but if you find numbers, pretty much tells not original. I believe your engine would have a serial number - which includes a date code - stamped on the front of the block - driver's side cylinder bank directly below the head/head gasket. Transmission would also have stamped numbers on the driver's side housing rail above the pan.
Thanks for all the information. The car is a general lee replica, with a 440 and a 4 speed now so there is probably not a thing original to the car was just curious about finding the history of it as old mopars are new to me. Thank you for your time.

Whereabouts in Nebraska? I would be happy to look at it and maybe point out a few more things to help you.

"I wonder if people would think I was nuts, if went to LA via Omaha"

Sorry it's been bout 50 years since I heard it. I believe that there are a couple versions of it as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back