• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger RT Springs

Macdon221

Local time
3:23 AM
Reaction score
I have the original springs on my 68 Charger. They bear the numbers 2539964 and 2539794. I want to remove them to clean them up. I also want to remove whatever is not painted and/or finished correctly and do it correctly as per original. The shocks are more than 15 years old, so while i was in there was going to replace them as well and finish in the correct color that would of been individual originally. See photos.

I was contemplating a few options...The springs still have an upward curve when sitting flat under no load...the options that I have been contemplating are....

1. Replacing with all new;
2. Dismantling the springs and replacing the interliners, spacers, clamps, etc.;
3. Do nothing but just refinish as is; or
4. Buy new springs, remove the bottom ends wit the part numbers and add to the new set with new clamps.

The springs I know cam either black or just metal color. The brackets, hangars, ubolts etc is what I need a little help with for the original presentation. And looking for direction.

There is an error in the way the springs are mounted now...wont take long for someone to pick that up!. lol. That is why I want to get in there and get it all right.

s1.jpg s2.jpg s3.jpg s4.jpg s5.jpg s7.jpg s8.jpg s9.jpg s10.jpg

I went through this on my Superbird. I replaced with all new. I put the car back on the ground and it sat just like before. I then cleaned and painted the originals and put them back on.

With ESPO springs that come already painted black...If your car had original metal colored springs...is the consensus to paint them a metal color...or remove the paint and treat with Rust Preventative?

Auto Transport Service
Back