• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Slant 6 3-on-the-tree RESTO UPDATE

Delblanco10

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got the body work and paint complete. A teacher and his students at a local high school took on the project and just finished. They did an outstanding job. Thought you all might like a look. Never mind the rims. I haven't changed them out yet.

I did some additional research also, and it looks like there were less than 10 of these made. I've actually found posts from a few years ago talking about having seen my exact car before I bought it. What a trip. Happy New Year everyone.

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_2735.jpg
    IMG_2735.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_2736.jpg
    IMG_2736.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_2737.jpg
    IMG_2737.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_2740.jpg
    IMG_2740.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2741.jpg
    IMG_2741.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 305
Wow, llooks like they did a great job! Congrates! bet you saved a ton a money as wel! look forward to seen the progress...best wishes!

Nice job!!!!!!! Younger folks are the future of keeping these dream cars alive..... You all did a fantastic job and I bet you enjoyed every minute of this project..... wish you could restore one of my projects!!!!!! L.T.D. (LIVE THE DREAM)

Yup, very nice looking job!

yes, less than 10 made..leave it that way..you will get more looks at a show with it original than most Hemi cars get

It could be the photos, but I think I am right in saying that paint is very orange peel..I realize that this was done as a learning experience, but..I would color sand it if you can. That part aside, what a rare charger. Really cool!

A 1 of 10 car left in the hands of a teacher and his students as a bodywork/paint project... You are a BRAVE man!

Orange Peel

It could be the photos, but I think I am right in saying that paint is very orange peel..I realize that this was done as a learning experience, but..I would color sand it if you can. That part aside, what a rare charger. Really cool!

You are right, but in the teacher's defense, he said he had quite a bit of buffing to do. I'm not sure if that helps, but I'm not worried about it anyway. I plan to drive this car frequently, so I didn't want a 10K paint-job on it (nor could I afford one). I'll tell you what, though. The car looks outstanding in person.

I never heard of color sanding, but I may look into it down the road a bit. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the comments.

Thats a beauty! My brother in law had a 71 Cuda he just sold that looked fantastic, he had a slant 6 in it and while everyone else up his way were curving there cruising times because of the price of fuel, he had a ball in it each week with the stereo system screaming and cruising the streets watching others rides sitting... Beautiful cars and with a power plant that gets along good with the wallet. Congrats on the teacher and his students for a awesome job! Have fun...

Yours might be 1 of 9 now, cause a couple years ago I was walking thru a salvage yard about 1 1/2 hours from me and saw a 68 charger that had a slant six in it. can't remember if it was auto or stick.

I think only 9 have been accounted for...up here I had a chance to buy one...long ago..it was the first one found

You are right, but in the teacher's defense, he said he had quite a bit of buffing to do. I'm not sure if that helps, but I'm not worried about it anyway. I plan to drive this car frequently, so I didn't want a 10K paint-job on it (nor could I afford one). I'll tell you what, though. The car looks outstanding in person. I never heard of color sanding, but I may look into it down the road a bit. Thanks for the advice. Thanks for the comments.
Yeah the car looks fine, and to be honest orange peel is industry standard for mass produced cars nowdays. Depending on what type of paint and process they used, there should be enough there to cut it back and color sand, then hit it with clear. But as you say its going to be driven daily. They sure got those panels straight though! Which is great work.

Auto Transport Service
Back