• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger tictoc clock spinning fast

PeteBell68

Local time
7:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone hoping someone can give me an idea of what's going on with the clock .
The clock works but is spinning extremely fast .
Turned it backwards to adjust the time slower doesn't work .
It does have the orange box conversion and everything else works perfect .

Thanks Pete

Hmmm... when you say "extremely fast" do you mean it's off 5 min. every day or you can watch the hour hand spin around so fast you get dizzy?

I "thought" the clock gets a direct 12V from the battery and doesn't use the 5V from the dash...... cause if it were set up for 5V and you gave it 12V (& it didn't fry) that would explain it. I don't "think" that can happen though.

Hmmm... when you say "extremely fast" do you mean it's off 5 min. every day or you can watch the hour hand spin around so fast you get dizzy?

I "thought" the clock gets a direct 12V from the battery and doesn't use the 5V from the dash...... cause if it were set up for 5V and you gave it 12V (& it didn't fry) that would explain it. I don't "think" that can happen though.
It spins so fast you get dizzy ,
It wasn't working so I plugged the two grey wires back up .
I tested the voltage it read just under 6

clocks are electromechanical... they got points what when make contact causes a short what winds up the springs to make it work... this happens every minute or so.

The clock speed is self adjusted every time you readjust the hour untill is not anymore needed ( or barelly ).

Of course if clock is getting faster, you need to readjust the hout getting back the needles.... and if is getting retarded, then needs to be readjusted going forward.

if you can and if you want, begin making a FULL 12 hours round in reverse and lets see what happens

Last edited:
I'll try that tonight lets see what happens does anyone know if the orange box messes anything up for the clock ?

I'll try that tonight lets see what happens does anyone know if the orange box messes anything up for the clock ?

It shouldn't unless you accidentally crossed some wires. It sounds like your clock DOES go through the 5V dash voltage limiter.

What kind of car/clock is this anyway? I've been surprised before on the pre-65 cars.

You better get it fixed right away. You're going to get old quickly if that clock continues that way.

Are you anywhere near the epicentre of a black hole that the rest of us don't know about? :lol: (and I don't mean Oprah)

Maybe Mooshell is hiding in his garage !!!!!!

Ok I was wrong grey wire is 12 v , but in doing some reading this should be correct .
Wound it back 12 hours still the main hands spin fast and the second hand flys .
The clock has three hookups 12v ignition , ground , 12v constant (grey wire )for when cars not running .
Lights work so ground ok as it uses the case .I am starting to think some how the orange ignition box is the issue .
Unfortunately that's how the car came so I can't test previous .
Is a resister or filter needed to choke voltage ?

Once again, clock is electromechanical. The 12 volts only winds up the spring after a small short at points. You can get 12 volts, 9 volts, 24 volts... any voltage will feed the points short, will wind up a bit more or less the spring, but won't affect the speed. The speed and the clock itself is a mechanical system.

You can feed the clock, will heard a click and disconnect the clock and will see how it keeps working for a minute or so, untill points inside close back. Then you feed the clock again and will repeat the process.

Keep the clock adjusting back the hour. Be patiente. Mine got around 2 or 3 minutes forwarded per day. Redajusting evertime needed will end on a propperly speed sometime

Once again, clock is electromechanical. The 12 volts only winds up the spring after a small short at points. You can get 12 volts, 9 volts, 24 volts... any voltage will feed the points short, will wind up a bit more or less the spring, but won't affect the speed. The speed and the clock itself is a mechanical system.

You can feed the clock, will heard a click and disconnect the clock and will see how it keeps working for a minute or so, untill points inside close back. Then you feed the clock again and will repeat the process.

Keep the clock adjusting back the hour. Be patiente. Mine got around 2 or 3 minutes forwarded per day. Redajusting evertime needed will end on a propperly speed sometime
Will keep adjusting thanks

Ok I've wound this clock back at least 1 months time . As soon as I plug it in its spins so fast your eyes can't keep up .
I've read maybe something is bent or touching other parts inside causing a high voltage .
I'll keep working on it .

Ok I've wound this clock back at least 1 months time . As soon as I plug it in its spins so fast your eyes can't keep up .
I've read maybe something is bent or touching other parts inside causing a high voltage .
I'll keep working on it .
Time for a Quartz movement upgrade if this continues. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back