• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet R/T electrical issues.

ChazRam

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
Good Morning, reaching out for some help from people who know these cars. We have been restoring a 68 Coronet R/T for the last couple of years. Got it up and running and driving. Having some turn signal issue.
When the turn signals are turned on the flash is fast and only blinks for a second, in other words, fast and weak. We had these working good but something happened and they do not operate like they should. Lights were all replaced awhile back and did operate correctly. Replaced all the fuses and the flasher (TWICE) and still having issues. My idea is something in the front turn signal housings is causing this as I had my brother turn the turn signals on left and right. Right flashes fast and left did nothing. Pulled on the parking lights and the left front lit up but did not flash but the right did. Thoughts were the housings are old and need replaced or there is some sort of ground not getting a connection??
Problem 2, the brake system was completely replaced. Everything is new except the rear drums which nobody makes. Everything works as it should. Brakes respond well, pedal sits where it should. Problem is the brake light switch sits up against the brake pedal arm but the pedal falls just short of pushing in the pin to turn off the brake lights. The switch is adjusted all the way down. I can pull the pedal up and it makes the switch work right but the pedal feels a bit high. Thinking a simple spring would remedy this but wondering if anybody else has had this issue and perhaps drilling different holes in the switch housing to relocate it about 3/8 of an inch lower or making a plate to lower it might be in order? Any ideas.
Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Chas.

20180711_165529_resized.jpg

Bulb socket gets ground from housing,thru bumper, to body. Check all the spots. Is there any slop in the pedal pivot under the dash, or maybe a new stop switch will help?

Good chance the issue is in the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel.

Also, give the firewall bulkhead fitting a check for corrosion and or loose terminals.

Before you do anything, check ALL grounds, especially the bulb/lamp housings.

Good chance the issue is in the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel.
Thought the switch might be worn out. Priced one out already. Putting a new one in is a pretty straight forward job and after looking at the column the switch us a pretty easy replacement. Got it it on the short list but trying to narrow down the source of the problem. This is one of them times I wish I had a spare switch to compare. Still think it's them front turn signal housings. Remember one had the light slug fused to the housing and the nylon pad with the two contacts at the bottom was corroded in place. Cleaned the assembly out, sanded the sides of the socket smooth and had it operating as it should. Only thing that throws me is the turn signal light will flash dim and fast but if the running lights are on the light comes on bright but does not flash? Priced out new sockets as well but before I go and set up a 4 to 5 hundred dollar purchase for the switch and sockets I still wanna chase this thing down. Still figuring a ground is off someplace.

Your “bright,no flash” is almost definitely a bad ground. It’s trying to find a ground thru the park lite filament.

Bulb socket gets ground from housing,thru bumper, to body. Check all the spots. Is there any slop in the pedal pivot under the dash, or maybe a new stop switch will help?
Will be checking everything for proper ground and contact. As for the pedal pivot, it is tight. The pedal appear a to sit where it should at the high point. The pedal shaft sits right on the end of the brake switch pin. Just does not push the pin yo stop the brake light from staying on. The switch has no more adjustment to it. Kind of stumped as the brake system is o.e. parts, properly installed and system bled. The pedal or switch is off about a half inch.

Before you do anything, check ALL grounds, especially the bulb/lamp housings.
Doing that next. Taking the bulbs out and housings off. Checking contact points, plugs, and grounding areas and once everything looks right put it back on and try again.

Your “bright,no flash” is almost definitely a bad ground. It’s trying to find a ground thru the park lite filament.
Kind of thought along these lines too. I am prepared to replace both front sockets and the turn signal switch if need be but my a.d.d. mind says it's something else and pretty simple. Tssking the housings off, checking the housings, plugs, mounting points, and even the bulbs is the first thing to be done. Only have one day a week to mess with the car so I have to wait til next week. Going to be going after this light issue and the brake light switch issue. Now that the car is pretty much done for now and the mechanical restoration is done it's just trouble shooting items and tweaking here and there. So far it's a complete fuel system, suspension system, brake system, and a completely new interior including a new vinyl top and tires and wheels. The car drives great, it's pretty fast, stops decent, and everything seems to do as it should except these issues and the wipers do not work. It appears the pivots are seized up, (two speed wipers) and might have to get a switch for them too. Just these small things and it's done for the year.

Auto Transport Service
Back