• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger Turn Signal Cam/Switch

Macdon221

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
So I have brake light trouble. It is the cam/switch as if I nudge the turn signal lever it rights itself. In doing some reading online...it seems that others have had the same issue with getting a replacement part...in that the cam or complete switch listed online is not the one that is in their Charger. The cam listed to replace is the SM16...with no posts...but the one that actually seems to fit the product in my car is the SM9 which has the posts that slide into a small locking groove for center. Other charger owners have said the same thing...but it seems finding a replacement for the entire switch cam and base...seems to be an issue.

Hopefully making myself clear. Does anyone know where to find the exact replacement?

IMG_0075.jpg

I rebuilt and painted my steering column when I restified my 68 Charger and put in a new turn signal switch. Had the same trouble you seem to be having with the lever not always going back to center without a nudge. I thought it was the new switch also. Turns out, when I painted the column it built up too much paint in the recess where the turn signal pivot fits. It was binding and not going back to center causing the brake light to not work on one side or the other depending on which way I turned. I scuffed the paint out of that recess and put it back together. It woulds perfectly now. Is it possible that yours is the same issue?

I've had similar problem with the aftermarket cam/switch in my 68 Charger. I paid the price and installed a NOS switch (about 10 years ago) and haven't had any more issues.
Frank

Auto Transport Service
Back