• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 charger

my console was abs ??
"Really" 68's have the same console don't they? I did allot of grinding, sanding and patching on the one I had and it was fiberglass 100% sure "looked like yours".

it had no fiber to it & i used acetone to fix the one crack just like my grill,i have heard that someone used to make an aftermarket fiberglass one,got any pics of yours?

Don't look at me for that answer my car had a buddy seat orig shifter and console brackets (some of them) were screwed to floor so mine could be from anything that a 68 top plate goes on.:shruggy:

it had no fiber to it & i used acetone to fix the one crack just like my grill,i have heard that someone used to make an aftermarket fiberglass one,got any pics of yours?
I'll have to look but I doubt it, I fixed it up and then decided to make my own so I sold it. Yeah it didn't melt, smear or anything else like platic when grinding on it "it sure as hell did make me itch thou". If I come across a pic I'll post it but I doubt I will.

Glad to see you back Charlie it's been a while! And great to see your progress! x2 with 747, I think the switches look cool :icon_thumleft: and yeah the stock consoles are abs

well i have no money to spend on the charger, soooooo to keep myself with something to do i decided to fix some of my screw ups,on almost every thread that i have seen,they have amd 1/4 panel fittment of the same nature. 1.around the rear window,,that just a cut & fit,slice,scream,yell & get mad,the others are,2.the 1/4 horse shoe lookin end cap that looks like this

1472974_618146388244074_1392489003_n.jpg

it seems everyone says the panel is made wrong,well i made the same mistake & now have found whats wrong,in the picture you can see i had to cut out my welds & in the area of the pry bar needs to go out,the top & bottom of panel are still welded. i had to move it out 1/4 in
1507606_618146441577402_984649717_n.jpg

this is how the end cap fits now

1476402_618146504910729_1191516874_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

moral of the story is dont weld up this part with out fitting the end cap & dont be afraid to pry on the 1/4 panel.

- - - Updated - - -

3rd is the lower 1/4 end caps,seems they dont fit,everyone slices them & adds metal at the cap to 1/4 seam,well my car was untouched in this area & what i found is,the factory welded the cap on the 1/4 before installing it,then hang the panel,then to get the cap fit correct they would twist the end of the rear cross member,right where the end cap welds on,most people have to replace this cross member & they are straight & their original was rusted & gone & did not know that the ends had been hit in or twisted from the factory on MOST cars .no slicing on mine,they fit great.
1441236_618146688244044_332856306_n.jpg

i hope this makes since,i have a hard time putting things to words.

Nice work and kudo's for sucking it up and fixing it right, your doing a great job on that Charger. I don't recall there being a problem with my caps other than they were a PITA but I wanted them welded solid and smoothed over for a cleaner look anyways. I did have to massage my end caps a bit to get the fit right on them "I must be to lazey to drill out the welds". The rear valence I bought was from ABS and was an ill fitting turd just like they're inner fender and is my biggest disappointment on my car "wish I would have returned it". I feel ya on being broke, I've been Ebaying and doing side jobs just to keep the progress moving "gotta do what ya gotta do". Keep up the progress.

my wife just got the charger some hemisfair 1968 license plates & its got my # 911 from when i used to race.

$_57.jpg

Nice job repairing the repairs on the quarter lol. We had the same issues as you with the AMD stuff. Now they look perfect.

Very good job repairing the problems! Thats pretty cool license plates!

my wife just got the charger some hemisfair 1968 license plates & its got my # 911 from when i used to race.

$_57.jpg

I'm certain I saw those advertised here quite a while back. My recollection is they were never opened and that ad came packaged with them. Nice find.

I recall now. Cranky sold a new in package set a few months ago. They were 70's though I think

Those plates are cool as hell, love the black and of coarse the "Hemi".

Hope you recover soon! Some times the best therapy is doing something you love.

That's a nice score on those plates, pa just started allowing the use of vintage plates on antique vehicles, I got a 68 dealer plate. I think I know what you mean with the 1/4 corner cap went out this morning and looked at mine (it snowing like crazy here arrgh) cross member needs tweaked forward to clear pinch weld, I was just going to fab the end of the crossmember ,the rest of mine is in good shape. Great info thanks again.

well sunday i sold my front seats to a member here,& got my replacement seats.
575788_620959724629407_1344271331_n.jpg

1527084_620959814629398_2144254357_n.jpg

531997_620959657962747_165017490_n.jpg

They look real comfortable for back support, look good sitting in the car and ready for some fast road and track time! Nice...

Auto Transport Service
Back