• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet: "Brakes" light on dash

So, is there anything wrong with me just unplugging the wire if I have no intention of using the parking brake?
You said that you already unplugged the parking brake switch and your light is still on, are you not following what we're telling you to do next?

If it mysteriously just came on, you may have a blown brake line/hose/wheel cylinder that has set off the differential switch in the distribution block. Hopefully it's just a wire insulation issue that has bared itself to ground.

Ok, got it. That provides a good amount of detail.

So, is there anything wrong with me just unplugging the wire if I have no intention of using the parking brake?
The switch on the valve has nothing to do with the parking brake... It's telling you there is a problem with the normal service brake system... There is a pressure loss in one of the systems, either the front or the rear brakes aren't getting full pressure....

Ok, I haven’t yet gotten into it to try and disconnect the 2nd step. Unfortunately I was misled by someone that the light served no mechanical purpose beyond the parking brake so he clearly gave me bad information.

I’ll try and get under it in the morning to unplug it and see if the light goes out and will circle back.

Appreciate the help and unfortunately got some bad info along the way (from someone outside the forum) which sent me sideways.

No need to get under it, lift the hood and reach down to the distribution block.

Ok, got it. That provides a good amount of detail.

Well you can unplug it. But what if you have an actual issue with the brakes. And the proportioning valve locks the fluid to the side that isnt leaking? Then you only have 2 of 4 brakes. If it were me I would look more into the issue as to why the brake light is on. Remember its only a classic car that you could wrap around a tree.

I don't remember if the OP said any work was recently done to the brakes.

How do they feel?

How is the fluid level in the reservoirs?

Was one empty at some point?

is anything leaking?

I was able to unplug the one off the valve and the light does go off. When i engage the parking brake, the light does come on, so the problem is now isolated to the actual braking system or switch that's on the valve.

I don't remember if the OP said any work was recently done to the brakes.

How do they feel?

How is the fluid level in the reservoirs?

Was one empty at some point?

is anything leaking?
The brakes feel fine. I did put in a new booster but I’m not feeling any negative changes and the fluids aren’t leaking

I'me sure there's a better way, but back in the 90's I was told this to reset the valve-

"Go to a parking lot and slam the brakes hard several times after making sure all four wheels are operating correctly."

I remember doing that about a dozen times and the light was still on, but the next day it magically went out after the pedal came back up from a "normal" brake application.

I believe I also tapped the valve body in the location of the switch a few times.

A regular distribution valve has a spring centered spool and should return to center as soon as you take your foot off the brake pedal. Something is wrong with the switch, the distribution valve spool is jammed or there's an issue in the brake system. Time to start looking for leaking lines and wheel cylinders.

Auto Transport Service
Back