• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX dash color

Greg Luhowiak

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
Looking at a 68 GTX to buy. Paint code is QQ1 for exterior paint. Interior calls out a sport trim grade white on blue interior with blue upper door frames. Dash and steering column are black. I would think it should be blue, correct? The VIN tag on the dash matches rad support and trunk lip. Car is very nice but this has me puzzled and wondering why it is black or better yet, why was it changed if it was blue? I don’t know enough about the rivets on the vin tag to know if the tag was switched from one dash to another. I know never say never with Mopar colors but wondering what your opinions might be on this.
233A8E67-FAC5-446A-A500-6E46332B16D4.jpeg
46DD50BE-1141-40BD-BBF5-E4D596E6CC47.jpeg

These would be original style vin rivets. However they can be bought off the internet. So You cant really rely on that as proof that its real. They are rosette rivets.

index.php?PHPSESSID=vsr5ducuplp8p47b5sk1ama2v6&action=dlattach;topic=34471.jpg

It looks silly like that. Who in he world does **** like that. I’d run from that car. The dash should be blue. Missing the bright metal trim on the door panels also.

Yes it should be blue and yes it is missing the door panel chrome. Not sure that’s a reason to run from the car. But I’ve never seen black where there should be a color. Maybe when he restored it that’s all he could find and it was too nice to try and dye blue. If it’s a nice X then is a nice X. Just check her over carefully.

Whats worse is a 68 the dash VIN shouldn't match the fender tag or the body stampings... The fender tag will give you allot of info including the shipping order number which is as close as the FT has to the VIN, the shipping order number is also stamped in the radiator support & trunk lip...

To tie the shipping order number to the VIN you need a broadcast sheet...

I agree those rivets are wrong & the dash should be blue...

The owner has done a lot of work to the car but not anything paint/body related. It’s 7 hours away from me and I have already been on 2 other long trips to see cars that weren’t what they were supposed to be. Didn’t think it would be this hard to find a decent 68-70 B body 4 speed car. This dash thing has got me all twisted up now. Glad I took another look at the pics. I almost missed it. Geez.

Whats worse is a 68 the dash VIN shouldn't match the fender tag or the body stampings... The fender tag will give you allot of info including the shipping order number which is as close as the FT has to the VIN, the shipping order number is also stamped in the radiator support & trunk lip...

To tie the shipping order number to the VIN you need a broadcast sheet...

I agree those rivets are wrong & the dash should be blue...
The last digits of fender tag match the rad support. Didn’t peel up trunk rubber to check there for same numbers. There is no build sheet for the car.

The last digits of fender tag match the rad support. Didn’t peel up trunk rubber to check there for same numbers. There is no build sheet for the car.

The fender tag should match the radiator support & trunk lip, but not the VIN...

On a 69 the VIN is on the fender tag & everything else...

The fender tag should match the radiator support & trunk lip, but not the VIN...

On a 69 the VIN is on the fender tag & everything else...
Yes. I understand that. The rad support matches the fender tag. Have not verified trunk numbers I am just concerned about why the VIN tag has been switched from one dash to another. Plus I don’t really like the look of the black where there isn’t any anywhere else. Seller states he has no idea why dash is black. Was like that when he got it. Really a nice car other than this. Car is also supposed to have fender mounted turn signals and rear defrost but those are not present either if that adds anything to the story. I feel like I’m nitpicking the guy but it’s a lot of money for me.

my buddy has a challenger he's owned since the early 80s..........it had a half assed collision repair sometime before that.......it was smashed on the hinge pillar, cowl was kinked under the dash

anyway, the dash fame was obviously replaced and the vin pop riveted on with basic rivets.......... if this is the case or something similar with the GTX, it still leaves to question why they didn't paint it blue........... there s a story there somewhere.......can you post a picture of the fender tag?

my buddy has a challenger he's owned since the early 80s..........it had a half assed collision repair sometime before that.......it was smashed on the hinge pillar, cowl was kinked under the dash

anyway, the dash fame was obviously replaced and the vin pop riveted on with basic rivets.......... if this is the case or something similar with the GTX, it still leaves to question why they didn't paint it blue........... there s a story there somewhere.......can you post a picture of the fender tag?

84876F7F-0319-44A2-BFCE-3EF27369AB30.jpeg

if seventh digit of the vin is A, that would be a Lynch Rd car.........my 68 GTX is a lynch rd car and it has very distinct inspection stamps on my fender tag

20191130_172713.jpg

if seventh digit of the vin is A, that would be a Lynch Rd car.........my 68 GTX is a lynch rd car and it has very distinct inspection stamps on my fender tag

View attachment 942430
7th digit is an A, yes. Also, seller was nice enough to poke around a little more and he can see some blue in spots under the dash, some on the steering column and a few other places. Looks like somebody purposely painted/dyed the dash, A pillars, kick panels etc black.

There is more investigation to be done for sure, but I wouldn't get too bent about the rivets. Back in '96 I had a Challenger that I had replaced the dash pad on. I drilled out the factory rivets and pop riveted the tag onto the replacement pad using hardware store stuff. Didn't think anything of it at the time, hell, I was proud of myself for not using screws.

Anyway, I'm quite sure if those rivets stayed in place all these years, someone, somewhere is shouting "rebody" at the top of their lungs.

That said, blacked out engine compartments and splattered trunks aren't exactly unheard of so it stands to reason the dash could have been (incorrectly) resprayed just to freshen it up.

Keep digging. :poke:

Maybe the Lysol fumes are getting to me, but I don't ever recall seeing a sequence number start with a letter.

Could it have something to do with the car being built for Canada? The tag says it’s an ordered car and build to spec for Canada.

Never say never when Ma Mopar is concerned.

Where's Barry when you need him ? :praying:

Auto Transport Service
Back