• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWO interior black paints 67 GTX

Gary Spaid

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
When I look at my 67 GTX interior it has a glossy black on the doors and what I would call a black satin finish on the dash and steering column. Where can I find the satin black paint?
Also is argent paint available for the console?
TIA

The satin finish is called suede. Not sure if it's easily accessible.
The other black is just high gloss paint.

You can get the black suede at virtually any Home Depot - and it IS a perfect match !!

A word of advice ... either prime it with black primer OR give it a flat or semi-gloss basecoat. Then shoot the textured. If you just try to get full coverage with the textured it will be too coarse.

In the photo below the top piece is original the other shot with the Rustoleum Textured.

You're fortunate ... it only comes in black !!

Black-Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-Textured-Spray-Paint-7220830-12-oz_d1e144e0-ad76-4150-b52d-1ca310...jpeg

DSCF4069 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).JPG

That doesn't look nearly dark enough and certainly not smooth enough.

Krylon or Duplicolor Satin Black Krylon Dull Aluminum for Argent

I used SEM Trim Black on my 66. Some may consider it not textured enough but I was happy with how it turned out. A pillar and top of window trim on a 66 get blacked out unlike a 67
IMG_0930.jpeg
IMG_5568.jpeg

I get it. I was looking for the black suede for the dash. Is that an exterior paint you are showing in the picture. Are we on the same page?

Thanks.
Suede is an interior paint used on dash frames and steering columns.... When fresh it does have a lot of texture to it... Many use satin paint because it looks closer to what 50+ year old suede paint looks like... But if you want it correct suede is correct...
IMG_8241.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. That is what I am looking for. By the way where in AR are you located? Send me a private message if you don't want to publicize address.

I get it. I was looking for the black suede for the dash. Is that an exterior paint you are showing in the picture. Are we on the same page?
It's an exterior paint but what does it matter ... its the correct "suede" texture if applied properly.

Suede is an interior paint used on dash frames and steering columns.... When fresh it does have a lot of texture to it... Many use satin paint because it looks closer to what 50+ year old suede paint looks like... But if you want it correct suede is correct...View attachment 1521089
Suede

IMG_0048.JPG

Looked for suede paint for the dash on my 66 Coronet. Quoted $85.00 per pint!. Friend owner of body shop said to just use Krylon barbecue black paint. They've done some beautiful restorations. Took the cheap way out. Couldn't see any difference. Not concourse but works.

Friend owner of body shop said to just use Krylon barbecue black paint.
Yeah ... that's not even close to the suede finish. But the correct product was as close as your nearest Walmart ...

A light dusting over your existing "barbecue black" would be as dead on as anyone could evr get.

Screenshot (44).png

Top is original, lower piece is Rustoleum textured - two coats. Would have been a little better with a single coat over a black base - would have been a little less coarse.

Thing to keep in mind is the coarseness of the finish varied from color to color, in different plants, different models, etc.. That's why there is so much disagreement about the finish.

DSCF4066 (2016_11_22 02_37_15 UTC).JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back