• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 gtx dash, dash switch panel and buttons installation help!!

L&LClassics

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have been working on the interior of my gtx off and on for weeks now. I am really close to getting it all reinstalled, but I've been stuck on the dash for a couple weeks, and frustration is at an all time high!:angryfire: I have to be doing things the hardest way possible but it's my first project ever so I've been learning as I go. Anyways this is where I'm at.....I've got the dash and dash switch panel installed and I've managed to get a few of the dash switches installed but it's been a pain in the rear. I'm trying to screw the dash buttons in from underneath the dash on the floorboard and getting my hands and arms up there is painful lol. I'm a 6'3" guy trying to fit in a tiny space. Are there any tips and/or advice anyone can give me? Have I done things in the wrong order like an amateur idiot? Please tell me there is an easier way...Any help will be much appreciated!:eusa_wall:

If the windshield is in the car I don't think there is a easy way. I know the dash pads would probably be first and the steering column would probably be last if all the switches and speedo are in.

The easiest way is to do what the factory did. Build the complete dash on the bench then install it. However in order to do that you need to remove the windshield, steering column and the few support braces. It's not as hard as it sounds. To remove column knock out the 1/4" roll pin at the coupler then unbolt the big plate at the firewall. Under dash nuts are 1/4-20 and have special plastic tabs in between the column mount and body structure. These are breakaway tabs for safety. You probably need to remove and reseal the windshield anyway as I'm sure it leaks.

Auto Transport Service
Back