• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash switch debacle

Potshot

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
I feel like I messed up. While debugging some of the headlight issues I've been having, I was going to pull the headlight lock switch out and test it. Now that it's almost out, I see that I have two wires plugged and there's a third wire, probably back up inside the dash. Once this thing is out and I've satisfied myself that it works (or have a working replacement set to go in), how the heck does it go back in? I've gouged my wrist up feeling around trying to gently remove the switch, but I know it's going to be a nightmare trying to install it or it's replacement back in. What's the trick? Don't tell me that the whole dash has to come out to do this right...

First, what car, year, rallye or non-rallye dash? I've not done it, but you can get a headlight switch out (with great difficulty) using the "brail method" up there by feel, and yes, you're gouge your forearm. I would do everything I could to diagnose the switch while it's still installed if it's that hard to get at....maybe check out the wiring diagram and test the headlight switch at the other end of the wires, not at the switch itself.

First, what car, year, rallye or non-rallye dash? I've not done it, but you can get a headlight switch out (with great difficulty) using the "brail method" up there by feel, and yes, you're gouge your forearm. I would do everything I could to diagnose the switch while it's still installed if it's that hard to get at....maybe check out the wiring diagram and test the headlight switch at the other end of the wires, not at the switch itself.
Switch is already out, 67 Charger. I manned up, pulled the seat and moved the fuse box out of the way and can probably do it now. I'm rarely impulsive but it seemed like a good idea at the time

The headlight hold open switch only has 2 wires connected.

The headlight hold open switch only has 2 wires connected.
Thanks for the clarification. If I leave the wires disconnected is that the same as the switch allowing normal operation?

The switch is normally closed so it breaks the connection of the two wires in the hold open position.

You would need to connect the 2 wires together for normal operation.

Um he’s in the 66/67 Charger page

I moved the fuse box out of the way and stuffed my hand in there. Your hand and arm will get scratched all to hell but it can be done

I moved the fuse box out of the way and stuffed my hand in there. Your hand and arm will get scratched all to hell but it can be done
More or less lol
PXL_20240126_133921979.jpg

Unfortunately I really doubt the lockout switch has anything to do with headlight opening/closing operation.
It's almost always the limit switches, motor or relays in that order.

Unfortunately I really doubt the lockout switch has anything to do with headlight opening/closing operation.
It's almost always the limit switches, motor or relays in that order.
Agreed, but since I've had these things working not too long ago I'm being as methodical as I can be.

Auto Transport Service
Back