• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Hemi RT Charger values

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:25 PM
Reaction score
Looking at a 68 charger rt Hemi automatic. Needs complete restoration, matching throughout, engine trans and body numbers with original vin and data plate, red exterior black interior. Very solid minor rust issues.
What’s a reasonable price? Owner looking for 125k

There is a '69 for sale on Hemmings that sounds almost identical except red on red. The owner wants $150k for it. Wonder what that makes mine worth? It doesn't need restoration.

There is a '69 for sale on Hemmings that sounds almost identical except red on red. The owner wants $150k for it. Wonder what that makes mine worth? It doesn't need restoration.

I can't see a fender tag, no mentioning of a build sheet and theres no vin specified.

I could've bought a 69 hemi charger, repainted and with factory replacement engine but otherwise apparently nice condition (didn't look at it in person) for 90k in late 2019/early 2020.
So 125k for a project seems high but prices have goon through the roof since then.

75 max if it needs restoration preferably 65k I’d walk away it’s fools gold
I think your light, that would be steal at 75k. Original drivetrain worth 35 to 40k. I’d feel much better at 100k

What is "needs complete restoration" and how much can you do yourself??

The metal replacement, body work and paint got me for a 120 Canuck bucks (88 US) on my Bee and I put another 45 (33 US) or so into it in new parts and shipping of same... and I didn't rebuild an engine or transmission, timing chain and gears only!

What is "needs complete restoration" and how much can you do yourself??

The metal replacement, body work and paint got me for a 120 Canuck bucks (88 US) on my Bee and I put another 45 (33 US) or so into it in new parts and shipping of same... and I didn't rebuild an engine or transmission, timing chain and gears only!
I do everything myself but paint

Finished, they go anywhere between 150-200K. Put together a rough restoration cost, then add 40%. Then, subtract that total figure from 175K (middle average price of a finished car) & that's what you should buy it for.

If RC has the correct formula which sounds logical - that makes $125k pretty heavy by my calcs. The guy that says $100kish gets my vote. Even if you can do most of the resto yourself. I guess it also depends on how well set up you are financially and how badly you want one.

If RC has the correct formula which sounds logical - that makes $125k pretty heavy by my calcs. The guy that says $100kish gets my vote. Even if you can do most of the resto yourself. I guess it also depends on how well set up you are financially and how badly you want one.
my gut tells me 90k would be a fair offer, hagerty's valuation tool puts a #4 car ,fair condition, which this car isn't at 103k minus 10% for automatic.

my gut tells me 90k would be a fair offer, hagerty's valuation tool puts a #4 car ,fair condition, which this car isn't at 103k minus 10% for automatic.
I just had a chance to read all who contributed to you coming up with a 1968-70 B Body Hemi Dodge charger. First, I am the owner of a Gold (JJ1) 68 hemi charger. I am presently helping out 2 more 68 Hemi dodge charger owners find the parts needed to get there car back together. I bought my charger in 1989 and got a complete hemi charger. These cars and parts are very scarce so if you do find one for sale, I would advise you to pay the price the owner wants. Check Barrett-Jackson and Mecum auctions. There just may be a car in you price range. Best of luck Bob Horman

March 19 1989 #2.jpg

March 19 1989 #37.jpg

March 19 1989 #18.jpg

goldie 7-15-22 #4.JPG

goldie.JPG

Last edited:
Yup just a few years ago 68 Chargers used to go for a left nut, now are going for both nuts and a first born Hemi car or not...crazy prices

Last edited:
Looking at a 68 charger rt Hemi automatic. Needs complete restoration, matching throughout, engine trans and body numbers with original vin and data plate, red exterior black interior. Very solid minor rust issues.
What’s a reasonable price? Owner looking for 125k

Any update?

In todays market 75k might be a tad low......But not so low to piss someone off.

IMO it depends on metal it needs beofre I upped my offer from there

When it comes to hemi cars , all bets are off. regardless of body style.
I know Ive been offered 100K for mine, on 2 different occasions in the past year. And Mine is a lowly 66 Satellite

In todays market 75k might be a tad low......But not so low to piss someone off.

IMO it depends on metal it needs beofre I upped my offer from there

When it comes to hemi cars , all bets are off. regardless of body style.
I know Ive been offered 100K for mine, on 2 different occasions in the past year. And Mine is a lowly 66 Satellite
I agree and realize I’m a tad low. At that price I would take as is , no more inspection needed, from the pictures I saw and it’s numbers match I’d feel comfortable.

Here is my 68 Hemi Charger project. These cars are very difficult to find. I’ve spent a lot of time locating and collecting parts with the help of Bob Horman. They only made so many and I don’t think there are many projects on the market for sale. These cars are not cheap. I’ve tried to buy as many Nos parts as I could to restore it.

Russ

F0BC4514-5181-4FF5-B29F-6F92A9D78C6B.jpeg

37B2E612-E6BC-4979-B206-97F4E6EDA7FD.jpeg

6FC9C3C8-34C5-409F-9E86-F3E7805F30F8.jpeg

Here is my 68 Hemi Charger project. These cars are very difficult to find. I’ve spent a lot of time locating and collecting parts with the help of Bob Horman. They only made so many and I don’t think there are many projects on the market for sale. These cars are not cheap. I’ve tried to buy as many Nos parts as I could to restore it.

Russ

View attachment 1382717

View attachment 1382718

View attachment 1382719
Well after reading all these posts, I figured I should get back with my thoughts.!968,1969, and 1970 Dodge Chargers with a factory hemi engine are hard to find. A 1968-70 with original drive team for sale is almost impossible to find. I got lucky to find an original 68 dodge charger with the original drive team in 1989 in Chicagoland. Just 25 miles from my home. The owner showed me the car and told me what he wanted, and I made him a lower offer than he wanted. He said no way and told me he would close the garage and leave it until he finds someone willing to pay his price. I did not wait I paid what he wanted for the car. I bought a really rusty Chicago driven car. I went to my bank and gave him a check and he said to me when the check clears his bank I could come and take the car. Check clears. I take my daughter with me to get the car so I could drive it home. got the car out of the garage and my daughter said to me are you crazy spending a lot of money on this rusty Charger. I can't post the words my daughter said to me about buying the Charger. Drove it home and still have the car since March 19, 1989. Charger has original engine, transmission and rear end. I owned a second 1968 dodge charger hemi, i let a good friend have the car. These cars (hemi dodge chargers) are very scarce and replace metal and NOS parts are even scarcer. If you get chance to buy a Hemi dodge charger don't trying to buy these cars cheap. I talk to a well know person who restores Mopar muscle cars, and he said he has names of people wanting a hemi charger. Mine is not for sale right now. If you get a 1968-70 HEMI Dodge Charger don't hesitate because there is someone in back or you that will buy the car. Bob Horman

March 19 1989 #18.jpg

goldie.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back