• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 vs 70 Engine Wiring Harness

green440duster

Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
Hey just wondering I have a new 70 engine harness that was given to me and was wondering how much of a pain it would be to use it in my 68 Charger? The Charger is going together now and was wanting to use the 70 harness since it was brand new and not over 50 years old like mine. Will the bulkhead wiring be ok or do I have to switch the wires around?

I think they are close. Just compare the connectors and wire colors. 70 used the electronic regulator and alternator with two field terminals. Those items for sure are different.

70 gets the horn relay into the cab and gets a dual field ( electronic regulator) wiring. Could be made to fit, but, the horn wire color won't be correct... black on 68/69 handling the horn switch ground and green traced red on 70 handling positive straight to horns. Will need a jumper wire ( violet ) from alt post to horn relay to feed the 68 horn relay.

+ lead of coil was changed to brown on 70 ( blue on 68/69 ) since the alt got a blue field wire too, so this will make just one blue wire running to front.

If you are not picky with colors, will be easy. Just cut the reg pigtail to attach terminals to mech regulator, and not use the blue field on front to the alt.

Horn wire will be as mentioned green with red traces, not anymore black, and add the violet jumper wire between alt stud and horm relay.

Pretty sure the wiring cavities setup remain the same, but better to confirm that.

Auto Transport Service
Back