• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical issues

gkirksey

Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
70 Charger 440 that used to be a 225. No telling what wiring harness got used in the swap.

But the latest is when the headlights come one, it sputters and wants to cut off.

Short of replacing the entire harness... any thoughts?

Not sure if it's the same as my 69 Roadrunner, but I had a similar issue. I back traced everything and found out the 3 prong connector to the high beam floor switch got loose under carpet. I clipped it back in firmly and all is well. Hope that helps :)

If the engine sputters, poor ground will not cause this problem. Most likely cause is something in the headlight circuit is shorting to ground, causing battery voltage to drop which in turn kills the spark.
You could try using low beam & then switch to hi beam, see if one works. That would isolate the problem.

I would first check battery voltage running with the lights on.
Should be at least 12.8 Volts or more. (13.5 V would be good)

If that checks out next thing would be bulkhead connector.

But it sounds like a new engine harness might be in order.

Wiring between a 225 and 440 probably aren't that much different. You can look up diagrams at mymopar.com. You need to check at ballast resistor with lights off and lights on. If a lot of difference you will have to back track or start at starter relay fusible link and work toward firewall. Good luck.

Try unplugging the headlight motor.

Auto Transport Service
Back