• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 383 hp

hdwrench

Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
i have a choice on intake manifolds on my engine . i’m just starting to prep a 383hp to go in my car , i have a choice of available intake manifolds. there is a offy dual port (380) or a cast iron oem , might be original to engine , to be verified. probably lookiyto put a 650 carb on a mostly stock engine. is one better then the other ?
not concerned w match or original, just a good running engine …
FD4C5FF2-650E-42C5-9634-DBB5A2369A41.jpeg

F271E7C8-450A-4658-A7B7-212C804F8F5A.jpeg

Do not use the offy. No good.
What is the casting # of the iron one.

i’ll have a look but can’t see it today …

Agree with above. Offy belongs on the wall, above the Moose head.....

The 301 is the 68 roadrunner intake. It's a good choice
is the 301 a good street manifold or should i look at an aftermarket intake ? not sure of the performance gain is worth the dollars….

CH4B or street dominator is what you want. Top with 750 Holley like 3310. Could go with 800 avs or 750 factory avs. Or TQ would work on the street dominator flange. Just don’t under carb the thing. Run headers. Performance curve distributor. Enjoy.

Stick with the oem iron for now. Just looking through the summit catalog for low deck intakes is pretty depressing. Not many B intakes are produced anymore. If I wanted to buy one new though it would have to be the RPM.

CH4B or street dominator is what you want. Top with 750 Holley like 3310. Could go with 800 avs or 750 factory avs. Or TQ would work on the street dominator flange. Just don’t under carb the thing. Run headers. Performance curve distributor. Enjoy.

CH4B is for RB engines

Stick with the oem iron for now. Just looking through the summit catalog for low deck intakes is pretty depressing. Not many B intakes are produced anymore. If I wanted to buy one new though it would have to be the RPM.
Yes, iron or rpm performer the dp4b will not help much and the street dominator will only turn on after 3400 rpms.

ok i’ll run the iron for now . thanks all for chiming in!!!

I put an Edelbrock RPM dual plane on my daughter's 67 Coronet with a stockish 383. Small cam and 750 cfm Holley otherwise stock. I love it. Over 4000 lbs ran 14.80's totally spinning the tires. Never made a full run. I think I may be able to get close or sneak into the 13's with optimal tuning after it hooks.

I had a Street Dominator on it. Love the Street Dominator but it was totally wrong for this combo. Zero bottom end. RPM is monumentally better in the low end. But I also did change the cam - made it smaller.

Agreed.THe DP4B is a good one.

I put an Edelbrock RPM dual plane on my daughter's 67 Coronet with a stockish 383. Small cam and 750 cfm Holley otherwise stock. I love it. Over 4000 lbs ran 14.80's totally spinning the tires. Never made a full run. I think I may be able to get close or sneak into the 13's with optimal tuning after it hooks.

I had a Street Dominator on it. Love the Street Dominator but it was totally wrong for this combo. Zero bottom end. RPM is monumentally better in the low end. But I also did change the cam - made it smaller.
always tuff when ya make two changes in the same pit , but good to hear about ur set up , i’m going to start with the iron intake to get a baseline , mean time i’ll be on the look out .

The street dominator makes power right off idle. I know this from experience with a factory built 383 hp. I torn it down, changed the chain, degreed cam to straight up, and fresh gaskets. Then I installed hsd, a 3310, and 1 7/8 hookers. Tray and milodon road race pan. MP electronic kit.

It ripped from off idle all the way to around 5600-5700. Power was linear and wasn’t peaky like the comments would indicate. I’m not sure why some people can’t get them to work.

The street dominator makes power right off idle. I know this from experience with a factory built 383 hp. I torn it down, changed the chain, degreed cam to straight up, and fresh gaskets. Then I installed hsd, a 3310, and 1 7/8 hookers. Tray and milodon road race pan. MP electronic kit.

It ripped from off idle all the way to around 5600-5700. Power was linear and wasn’t peaky like the comments would indicate. I’m not sure why some people can’t get them to work.
what gears and torque converter did you have.

Auto Transport Service
Back