• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 440 Air Grabber air cleaner question

kramer

Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
Im looking at possible buying a 69 440 4bl Air Grabber air cleaner assembly but I read some people aren't very happy with the quality of the repopped ones. OE ones aren't very easy to find and are quite a bit more expensive. Has anybody bought one of the repopped ones? I will most likely have to modify the base of it to fit my taller intake/carb setup.

If your intake / carb combo is taller than stock .
You might want to look at a 383 air cleaner instead.

MUCH easier to find

What is the issues with the reproduction units? Considering you are going to modify it anyway?
I'm asking because thinking of doing same thing for the '69 Coronet.

If your intake / carb combo is taller than stock .
You might want to look at a 383 air cleaner instead.

MUCH easier to find
I think that is the wrong direction. The 440 is taller than the 383, so the base of the 383 version is taller than the 440 version, so they end up in the same position relative to the hood.
If you have a taller induction on a 383, you need the 440 version.
Or, you could get a 383 version and cut the base down....

I think that is the wrong direction. The 440 is taller than the 383, so the base of the 383 version is taller than the 440 version, so they end up in the same position relative to the hood.
If you have a taller induction on a 383, you need the 440 version.
Or, you could get a 383 version and cut the base down....
'

You are correct.
I had an old fart moment .

The 440 base is shorter than a 383 . And also harder to find

Auto Transport Service
Back