• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger/426 hood clearance issue. Motor mounts?

INTMD8

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I bought this car as an unfinished project. Just got around to installing the hood latch today which brought me to realize there is about zero hood clearance to the carb.

It had a 1/2" spacer under the carb which I removed but still, the choke horn is just about touching the hood pad when closed.

I was planning to switch to dual 4's and a chrome dome, not sure if that would change anything for the better (or worse).

It looks like there's plenty of clearance for the engine to drop down lower but not sure if there's anything that can be done as far as motor mounts without fabricating something.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

zI6wSV.jpg

4KuBvg.jpg

myQg98.jpg

JX6Uaa.jpg

SpKCio.jpg

6C2eEk.jpg

mp9RGe.jpg

Looks like the K member mounts are a tad high. Here is a picture of a B/E body hemi K Member.
KMember%20BE%20Hemi.jpg

Driver side perch
KMember%20BE%20Hemi%20Detail.jpg

Spacers to lower the k member. Yeah,looks like someone made those brackets too tall. The metal used for the brackets appears thinner than factory. With the price of k members a fabricated one is not surprising. Only this one is a bit too tall. That's what I think is happening here.

And that oil pan is way high from the k. No need for that skid plate either. That's a real pisser. I would look at removing the t bars and exhaust. Take the weight of the motor off the mounts, cover everything up and get in there with a cut off wheel,sazall and whatever else to take that 1 inch of metal out and weld it back up. Cause that's got to be frustrating as all hell. Hey I am sure you will get it right cause that's a lot of motivation there.

Thanks for the info guys.

I took the mounts off last night cut the tabs off and moved them up .700

I'll post new pics when it's finished.

Measured my engine height. From the front lip (lip is where the top and bottom are welded together) to the center of harmonic damper 7" to 7.25". This is passenger's side of O.D. of harmonic damper, couldn't measure to crank center. That measurement was straight up, not from center of k frame.

Thanks for that info. I've already finished the mounts and painted them tonight, will install tomorrow and get a measurement to compare.

I just cut the tabs off of the brackets that bolt to the block, moved up .700 and made pieces to fill the void below them. Tig welded, painted.

I would have made new ones from scratch if it was at all visible but not really going to see much of these parts.

T0tf43.jpg

Check your center link for clearance so it doesn't hit oil pan. You only need to test straight to left or right lock.

Those mounts,definitely not factory. Are they produced commercially or are they a one off deal?

The mounts are made by Schumacher I was told.

The .700 drop seems to have worked out well. Puts the center of the dampener to the front lip at 7.68. Any lower and I would be getting the exhaust very close to the torsion bars.

hvhgOb.jpg

8Yqb1r.jpg

FiBotI.jpg

K9cYFM.jpg

wXsAMy.jpg

bLjMlZ.jpg

z4rIv4.jpg

Tai83p.jpg

Mr6fZ7.jpg

The mounts are made by Schumacher I was told.

The .700 drop seems to have worked out well. Puts the center of the dampener to the front lip at 7.68. Any lower and I would be getting the exhaust very close to the torsion bars.

View attachment 679340
View attachment 679341
View attachment 679342
View attachment 679343
View attachment 679344
View attachment 679345
View attachment 679346
View attachment 679347
View attachment 679348
Im doing a 383 to gen 2 hemi swap with same mounts in my 71 charger. Do you have any pictures of the valve cover to the passenger shock tower clearance? Im having problems, stage 5 heads.

20220617_150102.jpg

20220617_121926.jpg

20220616_183920.jpg

20220616_183909.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back