• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger high beam issues

Jeff Bowers

Local time
11:55 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 Charger and it’s got a new wiring harness, new high beam switch and new headlight rocker. While driving at night, low beams work fine but when I kick on high beams, after about 30 seconds, all lights cut off. I turn lights off and on and the lights are back on. I’ve heard possibly the dimmer switch could be bad. It’s original. Any suggestions?

I have a 69 Charger and it’s got a new wiring harness, new high beam switch and new headlight rocker. While driving at night, low beams work fine but when I kick on high beams, after about 30 seconds, all lights cut off. I turn lights off and on and the lights are back on. I’ve heard possibly the dimmer switch could be bad. It’s original. Any suggestions?
It might be worthwhile just checking the steel floor-pan under the dipswitch to see if any of the cables are shorting to ground at the floor.

Not likely, but I have seen that happen.

Also make sure that all your bulkhead connectors are clean and tight, as well as firmly 'home'.

Auto Transport Service
Back