• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 charger will not start

gaspar sosa

Local time
6:32 PM
Reaction score
Hello, please help. A while back I installed a ready to run distributor in my car to avoid having problems, I have found tdc and it start but it will not stay on it dies. after several failed attempts from mechanic and mobile mechanics decided to take it a a big auto restored with the sole indication to adjust timing so the car will start. He did not do it,came back saying that my transmission needs to be rebuilt before he can safely try to start the car. 13k is the cost to remove the engine and transmission but with no guarantees that it is just that they need also to open the and look at the timing chain. I have already drop a few ks into mechanic that just milk me because is a mopar.
Any idea what could be it is 383 magnum engine. new fuel lines gas tank rebuilt carburetor ready to run dist. new spark plug and cables. the car start a little rough but it does not idle.
I am living in las vegas nevada does any one knows a good honest mechanic or knowledgeable person in the area that can help me.

How does he know the transmission needs rebuilt?

DAM that sucks, sounds like they trying to rob you blind.
It is tough to figure it out over the internet.
My place is located in NY, so I don't know any one on west coast.

$13K, WOW!!!
Cost me $1000 to have my Charger shipped from CA to NY, GEEZ
you could have it shipped to me, starting issue fixed and shipped back to you, with $10,500 bucks left over. LOL

When you installed ready to run distributor did you bypass the ballast resistor?

You also need to make sure you have a full 12 volts to the coil when the key is in the run position. The ready to run distributor also likes its own msd coil. Blaster high vibration model is for your application.

Ignore the shop/mechanic that told you that you need a transmission job. He’s full of ****.

One other question is did your car run, before you installed the ready to run distributer?

pffffffft what a load of ****....if it were me, I would put the old distributor back in . find tdc on the number one cylinder. check balancer timing mark is in view on the pad. wherever the rotor is, plug in the number one wire on top of it , complete the firing order counterclockwise. make sure the ballast is good and hooked up. check for spark, make sure you have fuel. fire it up. this is to verify it will run and it's not something else, like an ignition switch.
this is the condensed version, but it is super easy. this is why I work on all my own ****. people out there, are crooked and will tell you anything to take your money.

Last edited:
Verify #1 tdc is on compression stroke

It run before and now it start but it shut off the distr came with its own coil I have been fighting tdc that is why I took it to a mechanic I just can't get it to stay running. thank you for all your responses

You can look on damper for TDC, pull spark plug and do the tried and true, finger pop method, or remove valve cover and watch your valves, or the positive stop trick.

Good luck

Last edited:
How long will it run once it fires up? Is it immediately after you let off the key, or does it stay running for a few seconds and then die?

He did not do it,came back saying that my transmission needs to be rebuilt before he can safely try to start the car.

Bull-oney. Unless the trans pump is grinding out metal that is a load of junk. Has nothing to do with your RTR distributor.

Yes. Whenever I face a car that wont start or keep running, the first thing I check is the transmission; the blinker fluid next...

I have the car back on friday and I noticed that they emptied the coolant. my radiator is bone dry, now I am concerned that they actually mess it up and they wanted to charge me a lot to cover for their mistakes. Of course they do not answer my calls. Stay out of outlaw classic restoration in Las Vegas.

A fitting name, Outlaw! You should happy they don't answer. In Ct you call DMV about a place like that. Sic the DMV on here is hell for them. As said by 4mulas ballast resistor.

Only stay running for a few seconds makes me think it might be a poorly adjusted carb, or fuel supply/delivery issue.

Wow no coolant in the motor! Were they running it that way?

Once you have the motor filled with coolant again try starting the car and feather the gas pedal and see if you can keep it running. If it does not stay running then check the carb for fuel...remove air cleaner and look down into the carb and open/close the throttle and see if fuel is being delivered.

Auto Transport Service
Back