• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 440 project

Today I started boxing in my frame rails behind the wheel wells. I'm still not sure if I should just go ahead and box the whole frame rail or just the section behind the well.

FrameBoxing_R_01.jpg

FrameBoxing_R_02.jpg

FrameBoxing_R_03.jpg

Here's today's music selection

[video]https://youtu.be/sXYIxJScSik[/video]

Looking great and that song is badass! Love Five Finger Death Punch

If I listen to that music too much I'll end up in the nervous hospital again, in a straight jacket.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 403
Love Five Finger Death Punch

Me too Devin. Most of what I hear from them is on the radio and that was the first time I heard that remake. I got mt first welders tan of the year boxing that part of the frame. Looking forward to many more this year as I'm hoping to be able to kick *** on the Coronet this year.:headbang:

- - - Updated - - -

If I listen to that music too much I'll end up in the nervous hospital again, in a straight jacket.

Yea I take it in doses myself but then again I listen to just about all types of music. It's funny that you posted that pic of Alice Cooper. His album From the Inside was one of the first albums I ever owned and the Ballad of Dwight Frye is one of my all time favorite songs of his. :)

I went and saw Alice last year in concert, still a great performer!

Got more of the frame boxed today. I just need to finish off the front portion of the frame then I can start on reinstalling the wheel well. Before I can finish off the boxing I'm going to install the frame relocation kit. I figure it will be easier with the floor removed.

FrameBoxing_R_04.jpg

FrameBoxing_R_05.jpg

SpringRelocate_R_02.jpg

SpringRelocate_R_01.jpg

john, i have got to catch with you thread,reasons for boxing?something new i was not aware of. thanks

john, i have got to catch with you thread,reasons for boxing?something new i was not aware of. thanks

Hi Johnny, The reason for boxing the frame is I'm installing a mini tub. The inner wheel well will now be attached to the frame rail. I have to cut off the flange on the outside of the frame rail so the wheel well will sit flush. The frame will be weaker because of the missing flange so boxing restores the strength and then some.

I got the scary part done today I chopped up my frame so I could relocate my springs.

SpringRelocate_R_03.jpg

I did make sure that my frame rail wasn't going anywhere.

RearFrameBracing_R_01.jpg

RearFrameBracing_R_02.jpg

I then put the new spring hanger in place and made sure it was square.

SpringRelocate_R_04.jpg

SpringRelocate_R_05.jpg

I got it tack welded in place but that's as far as I got today.

SpringRelocate_R_06.jpg

Man is your work looking great 61, excellent! Here's a group I'm completely hooked on (Bullet for my Valentine), insane guitarist. Every time the guitar solo comes on in the shop I drop everything I'm doing and go into full blown air guitar mode haha.... if it's not your style at least skip to 2:44 for the solo.

[video]https://youtu.be/gT3zXBd2ksk[/video]

Man is your work looking great 61, excellent! Here's a group I'm completely hooked on (Bullet for my Valentine), insane guitarist. Every time the guitar solo comes on in the shop I drop everything I'm doing and go into full blown air guitar mode haha.... if it's not your style at least skip to 2:44 for the solo.

I definitely brace myself when someone says "if it's not your style" but these guys rock. The lead guitarist sounds a little like the guitarist from Avenge Sevenfold. It's funny because I'm sitting here in my livingroom and I play the song. Both of my kids come out and say " what are you listening too now?"

Today when I was out in the garage I was getting frustrated trying to get that spring hanger level and square so I put this on.

[video]https://youtu.be/7i2SupYmXpI[/video]

It calmed me to the point that I could figure out what needed to be done. It's amazing the affects music can have on a person.

Yeah I rely on music quite a bit although country might make me shoot myself haha. Bullet for my Valentine is a great band, I struggle trying to find bands that I really like because I can't stand the evil side that a lot of the bands like to play to. I watched an interview with the singer and when asked about religion I was amazed when he said he considered himself Christian just not a very good one although the birth of his son has him re-evaluating his priorities!! I was going to post an Avenged Sevenfold video for the reason you stated, the dude can play. If you liked them (BFMV) then check out, the poison, bittersweet memories, betrayal, hearts burst into fire, temper temper and tears don't fall.

Don't think I could listen to Christina Aguilera??? That's where the Temptations come in for me or maybe some Del Shannon, CCR or Spencer Davis..... love those oldies too.

john, you are very good at fab work,i can tell you are a patient man and very calculating.that kind of work takes a strong man mentally to dive into that kind of work,you got skills as well,great job as usual.

I'm welding these spring relocation brackets in place and I figured out pretty quick that my MIG gun won't fit in the corners. My Oxyacetylene torch fits so I figure I'll just gas weld it in place. I haven't gas welded in 30 years so I thought it might be a good idea to do a couple of practice pieces to see if I even remember how to gas weld. The spring relocation bracket is 3/16th's and the frame rail is 14guage so that's what I set up for practice. I was amazed how far up onto the 3/16th's I had to be so I wouldn't burn through the 14 guage. The first two passes you can see are under cut pretty bad. Yea I'm rusty.

PracticeWelds_01.jpg

On the third pass I'm getting back into the swing of things. I'll be able to do this:headbang:

PracticeWelds_02.jpg

I haven't gas welded for years either but it can be a lot of fun especially on thinner metal. Nice to see you forging forward again.

Yeah, nice fabbing!! Hey Dev! Alice(Vincent Furnier)Cooper went to HS in Phx and was in a band called "the Spiders" They would come down and play our dances @ CDO in Tucson........how time marches relentlessly on........

No pics today, the camera was too cold lol. The heaters were going full blast and it never got above 25 degrees in the garage. 2 hours was about all I could take, come on spring.

Yep, cold here to. Cabin fever sucks.. I don't have anything to work on anyway tho..:crybaby2:

Well today was a littler warmer than yesterday but still stupid cold. I wanted to get some welding done so I ended up firing up the heater and I brought the gas grill in and fired it up as well. It got nice and toasty in the garage so today was a welding day.

SpringRelocate_R_07.jpg

It's times like this that I really wish I had taller ceilings and a lift in my garage. I'm 6'6" and stuffed under the car is not fun at all. My welds aren't pretty but they are solid.

Tunes for a cold weekend

[video]https://youtu.be/5c1m2BAg2Sc[/video]

Well today was a littler warmer than yesterday but still stupid cold. I wanted to get some welding done so I ended up firing up the heater and I brought the gas grill in and fired it up as well. It got nice and toasty in the garage so today was a welding day.

View attachment 307411

It's times like this that I really wish I had taller ceilings and a lift in my garage. I'm 6'6" and stuffed under the car is not fun at all. My welds aren't pretty but they are solid.

Tunes for a cold weekend

[video]https://youtu.be/5c1m2BAg2Sc[/video]

Looking good on the spring relocation ( and does that bring back some memories ) . . . and the Foreigner tune . . . that brings back some old memories too ! ! !

Keep up the good work . . . I'm waiting for this cold spell to blow by so I can get back out in the shop to get some work done - in the meantime - - - I'm working on redoing the bathroom in my house where the temps are a little more bearable . . . ( smile )

Auto Transport Service
Back