• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 500

Time for a quick update. I've spent the last couple of weeks stressing and debating over the engine. The 360 is no good, one cracked head, needs a complete rebuild. Since it was only supposed to be a 'temporary' engine for a year or two, I decided not to spend any more money on it. I took the 77 440 into the machine shop, they took it apart, inspected and spec'd everything. Turns out is has one cracked head, needs a complete rebuild. The block needs to be bored out. Not much good left in it. So now what to do??? I was starting to get pretty stressed. My buddy found a running '74 truck 440 for $500, but then I'm taking another risk. In the end, I decided to rebuild the 440 I have the way I want. The shop has a steel crank, so it will end up being steel crank, forged pistons, Comp Xtreme Energy 274 cam. With Source heads and Performer RPM intake, they say I will have 10:1 compression.
I took my two crappy 727's into an old school trans shop as I need the big block bellhousing from the '77 but the tailshaft from the small block trans that came with the car. Am going with a 2200 stall convertor.
Concurrently, the front suspension is all painted and ready to re-assemble. It would be going in but my buddy has convinced me to strip and paint the engine bay while everything is out. He has a booth at his work, so we will sandblast, prime and paint with single stage over a weekend. Going with T7. I think it will go nicely with the black vinyl top and lower body black.

I'm curious what the numbers will look like, I'm hoping it pushes past 400hp.

Patiently waiting....
20AB59C7-1CFB-4B60-BB46-AE3F8D2405B4.jpeg

I decided to strip and paint the engine bay, going with T7. I think it’ll tie in nicely with the black vinyl top and lower two tone black paint.
EE41D585-03E4-4F78-8753-15C2F4EB252D.jpeg

Decided to try and be productive today...
25A0C907-419B-4272-A2D4-FB615E286AA6.jpeg

My buddy brought the T7 spray out, we will try and do the engine bay in a single stage.
5BBE795B-6D65-4DFB-B861-F7B2F76C21C6.jpeg

Such a beautiful colour!

Turns out is has one cracked head, needs a complete rebuild.

I'm starting to wonder about your machine shop. An overbore is not a big deal. One head on each motor had a crack? Post pics of the big block head crack here, lots of guys with good experience here.

I'm starting to wonder about your machine shop. An overbore is not a big deal. One head on each motor had a crack? Post pics of the big block head crack here, lots of guys with good experience here.
Yeah, the 360 head had 3 cracks, they marked each crack. I thought I had a pic of it. I was quite surprised when they said one of the 440 heads were cracked. In the end it doesn’t really matter as I am going with Source heads. Those ‘77 heads weren’t worth the cost. I did see it though, the shop is pretty good, he hot tanked my k member and torsion bars and didn’t charge me.

It’s been a couple of weeks since I posted, not a lot has been accomplished. I picked up my trans from the transmission shop, fully rebuilt, shift kit and 2200-2400 stall.
Ive got everything lined up to get the engine bay sandblasted and painted next weekend.
My biggest hurdle was how to move the car. I didn’t want to buy expensive dollies for the front end, and let them get ruined with sandblasting and paint, so I decided to try and make some. I picked up some box tubing, angle iron and casters and took everything over to my buddy’s place. He’s been teaching himself to weld with a little Lincoln. We managed to get everything cut and welded up in an afternoon. It didn’t look pretty but it seemed solid. I got home and mounted them to the car. As soon as I tried to roll the car to the right, on bracket started coming apart. I also realized the casters are a bit too small. I’m hoping we can fix the one bracket and everything will hold. I just need to get it on/off a flat deck, and into/out of the spray booth.
5F4931BF-4E79-4210-9324-4D5E16D245CD.jpeg
6E161442-1FA9-4FC3-BE31-5AE6F2A6E2C1.jpeg
48006BF2-132E-4458-8D14-4E17D493EAC5.jpeg
0E5319BB-E3E4-4218-BBCB-65785C8756C7.jpeg

Buddy needs to work on that welding a bit more..zero penetration, he's just gobbing filler on top. That and you need an angle brace..
beerestoration2015 403.JPG

Agree with dadsbee, you should do some practice welding on scrap metal before risking life and limb laying under the car supported with those welds.
I think you will like the motor you are having built. I did a similiar one several years ago. 440 bored .030, comp 274 solid cam, Source heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 750 Holley. Made 489 hp and 522 ft. lbs. Tried a 850 carb while on the dyno and it picked up another 10hp.

Last edited:
What is the secret to getting this wiper motor out?? I took off the nut attaching it to the linkage and the three nuts holding it to the firewall. I thought the linkage arm just slides off the stud???
3F22BEEC-FBBD-46FE-A09B-5E78901314C2.jpeg

I was in a bit of a slump with the car but this weekend took a big step forward. Got the engine compartment sand blasted..sand is still coming out of everywhere! Then to my buddy’s shop where he painted the engine compartment T7 and added the rad support blackout. Brought the car home today and put the front suspension back in. I just need to put the torsion bars and calipers on, and torque everything. It was a Garage Squad quick paint but I love it and it looks 100% better. The worst thing is the Gorilla tape pulled off some of the crappy paint on the fenders....
7AC9E477-CF76-4D6B-9337-A9CD0D069E9E.jpeg
5BDFB8BE-165E-455F-9019-6F2F53A2F768.jpeg
185699B7-D809-4934-8B6C-7E5806ED7F95.jpeg
7E3467AA-F9F4-429E-B178-B7D629A6AFCD.jpeg
CF6F919C-5242-489C-8A7C-C4F9A2CB0BE0.jpeg

My home-made brackets did not survive the trip, thankfully my buddy had these nice ones to use.
BD2D7A99-66ED-47EA-890A-4F71544660C0.jpeg
E9DA6355-D19A-4DE9-8FC7-AEB94265D8D3.jpeg
CE37EAE3-2A59-49CC-B37B-BB5911083940.jpeg

Looking good! Fast progress as well. Where in Abbotsford are you? I am just over in Aldergrove by 268th and 32A.

Robert

needs to work on that welding a bit more..zero penetration, he's just gobbing filler on top

He need to read some books on welding and practice a lot more, like dadsbee said. If you're under the car and something breaks...

Got the engine compartment sand blasted..sand is still coming out of everywhere!

At this point, you should commit to removing all the sand that is trapped in the cowl, rockers, etc. When you wash the car, get caught in the rain, etc, the sand will get wet, hold moisture as it slowly dries and cause rust.

He need to read some books on welding and practice a lot more, like dadsbee said. If you're under the car and something breaks...
We spent a lot of time blowing sand out of the frame rails, nooks and crannies. I pulled the dash out today and will clean all in behind the firewall.

At this point, you should commit to removing all the sand that is trapped in the cowl, rockers, etc. When you wash the car, get caught in the rain, etc, the sand will get wet, hold moisture as it slowly dries and cause rust.

Auto Transport Service
Back