• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Coronet 500

What power steering pump do I have? I need to order new hoses.

CF3C501A-DBA9-4014-B452-3E51A1EE7EB2.jpeg
E302A377-BAB7-42F8-92AA-6B5DD4028BCA.jpeg

For the headers: the only car I ran headers on was a '75 Cordoba with a 360. If I remember right, the passenger side was easy, but the driver side required lifting the engine and coming up from the bottom so the car had to jacked up high enough so that the header had enough room to stand up as I went up with it.

Well, I finally got those f*****g headers off...remove center link, starter, lift motor... I sure hope there’s an easier way to reinstall them....do I install the motor with them attached?
B858825F-33DE-4467-93D1-086FB4165BE9.jpeg

Got the engine and trans pulled and pressure washed today...long day but worth it! Plus had a couple of buddies helping...mostly drinking beer, but helping as well!
Next step, drop front suspension, replace all the worn parts, clean up and get it back in!

CBFA3D50-705D-40DC-A553-A6B97AA95C92.jpeg

View attachment 904467 View attachment 904468 View attachment 904469 View attachment 904466 So, I’ve had the Coronet home for a week now. I’ve settled on my plan of attack. Like I said previously, the car was running when I bought it, but since I’ve been home, I haven’t been able to get it to start. I’ve basically ordered everything new for under the hood...wiring harness, electronic ignition, coil, plug wires, relays, etc. As you can see in the pics, the salt air hasn’t been nice to the car, everything is covered in surface rust :( Also, the wiring was a complete mess! I figured it’s best just to start from scratch. My only deviation to the original plan is that I’m now going to pull the motor/trans, clean it up, re-gasket, paint and throw it back in.
Here’s some pics.

I also pulled the grill and tail light panel out to clean them up. There’s a lot of green mould/mildew on everything. Also, the tail panel was painted with a brush at one time lol. Everything is in good shape, there’s only a couple of broken posts on the tail panel. Since it’s just going to be a driver, I will try polishing it up and painting it myself.
I appreciate hearing any advice/experience in this regard.

Does anyone know where I can get these pal nuts? They look like they had some sort of rubber gasket or insert. Mostly all rotten away.
View attachment 904466
As for your pal nut issue, on the last resto I did, I merely cleaned the nuts up and used this (or something similar from 3M, since the product specs don't give a diameter):
3M Calk Strips Black 60 Strips 1 ft each Rubber Caulking Material 08578.
wrap a piece around each "pin" and tightened the nut, squeezing out the excess, which forms the seal.

As for your pal nut issue, on the last resto I did, I merely cleaned the nuts up and used this (or something similar from 3M, since the product specs don't give a diameter):
3M Calk Strips Black 60 Strips 1 ft each Rubber Caulking Material 08578.
wrap a piece around each "pin" and tightened the nut, squeezing out the excess, which forms the seal.
I'll try that, thanks!

Tonite I decided to sort the fuel system out. The previous owner but a new tank and sending unit but kept the rusty filler tube and didn’t put a tank pad in lol. The 5/16 fuel line was covered in rust. Luckily my buddy was replacing his OE fuel line with a stainless line. The OE line was like new. Here’s where the life lesson comes into play. I assumed, wrongly that 68-70 B bodies all used the same line...well was I ever wrong! After spending a couple of hours, dicking around under the car, trying to make it work and getting a constant rust/dirt shower, I took a break for dinner and did some quick research...imagine my surprise when I found that68-69 are the same but not 70. In the army we had a saying, ‘time spent on recce was seldom wasted’ I should follow that I little more often...

Thank you for being thoughtful enough to tell us the purchase price. It always annoys me when people come online to tell about a new project but then clam up when asked about how much they paid. It helps others to determine value when contemplating a future sale or purchase.

Thank you for being thoughtful enough to tell us the purchase price. It always annoys me when people come online to tell about a new project but then clam up when asked about how much they paid. It helps others to determine value when contemplating a future sale or purchase.
It's not a state secret lol, actually I was quite proud of the deal I got. He was asking $9500 Cdn, but told me on the phone he was into it for $7800 Cdn. The ferries to and from that island were about $400, so I went with $8k. When I asked him what the take it home today price is, he said $6000 Cdn, not a penny more...just like we discussed on the phone. Well, he must've gotten me confused with someone else as we never discussed price. lol I said, ummmm, sure, since I'm here..I'll take it.

View attachment 905509 View attachment 905510 I started getting everything prepped to pull the motor and trans...first roadblock was that the center drag link went through the driver side header....I got a pickle fork but one of the tie rod ends absolutely refused to pop...I don’t think any of these parts have ever been replaced!
I still can’t get the headers out, can I lift the engine slightly? What’s the secret to B body headers???
Yes, pull the motor mount bolt on the side you need to lift and loosen other side bolt . It should swing up enough to pull header.
Have someone up top watching clearance on other stuff while jacking from below. A block of wood on jack placed slightly over to the side you want to lift

So, I had a bit of a setback today....I have another thread going in the engine/transmission section. After I took the valve covers off, I noticed that there was chunks of valve stem seals floating about, so I took the heads to the local machine shop to have this rectified, and possibly upgrade the springs in anticipation of a Voodoo 250 cam. The fits thing the shop did was hot tank and magnaflux the heads before doing anything else. Well, they called me today and said one head has three cracks and the 'good' head is in serious need of a valve grind....so now I'm not sure what to do. Find some good used heads and potentially go through this again? Suck it up and get some Performer RPM heads? If I do, how will they affect the untouched bottom end? Ugh....I'm already over-budget (which is to be expected)...what to do...

It’s been a busy couple of weeks but I figured I’d better post an update. I’ve been away with work, got the suspension dropped, took the 440 to the machine shop...

I decided to not spend any more money on the 360 as it was only supposed to be a short term solution (1-2 years). I was under the impression it was a good motor but I was wrong, so I took my ‘77 440 to the machine shop last week. It’s never been apart, so my fingers are crossed that it’s low miles and ok condition. For a small fee, they’ll give it a once over, and tell me what it needs...still waiting to hear back, fingers crossed!
I ended up having to return all the small block stuff I had ordered..wire harness, plug wires, iginition kit, etc, so that’s been a bit of a pain.
I got the front suspension out last weekend, just about got everything sandblasted just need to do the K member then paint, re-assemble and install. My goal is to get the front end installed in the next week or so, then just wait on the motor. I ended up pulling the windshield and rear glass trim...it’s rusty back there! After much swearing and swearing, I also got the air shocks out of the back and replaced with some shocks a buddy had laying around.
2AA8A625-231C-467B-A1E0-20D5A467E543.jpeg
FD080F3C-61D4-4DF7-8508-62618ACF924B.jpeg
54C8AC89-FACF-4422-865B-5F36237D1037.jpeg
FD9FB5D0-9512-48DA-ACFF-FF6B807EB385.jpeg

I got the battery tray blasted and painted but not sure how to attach the upper brace to the inner fender...there’s a square hole on the inner fender and my battery was never attached there when I got the car.
C1C5CCDC-6539-4600-984D-31E512A97032.jpeg

17CC1263-DB9D-41AC-8F62-6EA0B248ADA0.jpeg
Had a local shop ‘clean up’ the original radiator...it turned out spectacular!! It’s the nicest thing in the car lol

8F5ED2BF-35D6-4C6E-82C8-E19FC0D6245A.jpeg
Also, I was able to find the missing door moulding, it was a bit pricey but now it’s all complete. Does anyone know what clips are used or how to take the other door moulding off so I can check the clips?

Auto Transport Service
Back