• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Dodge R/T Ram Air System on a 70 RR? By a MOPAR "Newbie"

soundhd

Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
I guess you can call me a MOPAR "newbie". have been involved with the classic car "hooby" for many years but all GM Classics (currently own a 72 442, 78 Chevy G-20 Van and a 2000 Corvette C5 Roadster). Looking to get a Mopar next....Been hanging around alot the last 3-4 years with a buddy who owns a 67 GTX Hemi car so I guess I have caught the "Mopar Bug"......
Plans are to seriously start shopping early in 2014 (have to add on to the my barn first in 2013 to make room.......seems I have heard that before....LOL)
Anyway I really do like how the 70 Roadrunner's looks, really like the body lines and how the "rally dash" (think thats what it is called) looks.......so plans are to hopefully find a 70 Roadrunner Convertible when the time comes........I am defenitly a "ram air guy...my 442 has the OAI (outside air intake ) option.......but (and here comes the question), how hard would it be to "add" a 69 Dodge Coronet R/T Ram Air System to a 70 RR hood ( do know the R/T hood will not fit on the RR), I like the R/T's system better. Been looking in the restoration catalogs (Year One & Classic Industries) and some of the other restoration part dealers in the internet and looks like one can find all the parts needed to do this.......just wondering if it has been done and if so how hard is it? Do the shop manuals show how it all fits together? Did see the 70 Plymouth with a Dodge Coronet R/T front clip & RA Hood on it in this month's Hot Rod magazine (very "kool") but that seems out of my leaque (I am just a weekend warrior). I know holes would have to be cut in the hood and somehow mounting holes drilled for the system, edtc...........any thoughts would be appreciated. Taking the time I have to learn as much as I can before making the leap...........
thanks

A Mopar "newbie" in Michigan

I have never tryed this but you may be able to cut two hoods appart (70 RR, and a 69 coronet flat hood) . and use the coronet bottom and modify for ram charger duct work and to fit, and the 70 top. would require a lot of work. But might be possible! would more than likely be a one of a kind hood. would be a cool hood.
and welcome to the mopar world!!
Good luck.

there was a b;ack '70 Charger in MCG a while ago. the owner had taken the outter skin off a '70 road runner hood and added it to the Charger hood. It looked like it was born that way, and the air grabber pop up looked killer on the black car.

I think that's a VERY interesting idea. I owned a 70 440-6, and the one thing I never 'really' liked was the air grabber design. I also never liked AT ALL the 70 Coronet "eyebrow" front end design.

another convert who has seen the enlightened side

hmmm....i won't say it can't be done...but it would take a helluva lot of work.

you could get a '70 with a "ram-air" {in MoParland it's called an air grabber} hood. Ma MoPar had it for '70 stock, but it's not the same design as the '69. it's a trap door instead of two vents.

btw...round here, a posi is called a Sure-Grip lol

welcome!!!

Just curious ast to why you don't like the air grabber that was factory for 70?

That has got to be one of the highest "cool factors" ever.

You can even buy a brand new repro one right now.

IIRC, the Dodge setup is not any more functional from a "ram" standpoint, and not nearly as cool.

A Correctin to m,y Orginal Post...........

It was not HR Magazine I saw the article in...it is this months Car Craft......(corrected the original post)

I guess you can call me a MOPAR "newbie". have been involved with the classic car "hooby" for many years but all GM Classics (currently own a 72 442, 78 Chevy G-20 Van and a 2000 Corvette C5 Roadster). Looking to get a Mopar next....Been hanging around alot the last 3-4 years with a buddy who owns a 67 GTX Hemi car so I guess I have caught the "Mopar Bug"......
Plans are to seriously start shopping early in 2014 (have to add on to the my barn first in 2013 to make room.......seems I have heard that before....LOL)
Anyway I really do like how the 70 Roadrunner's looks, really like the body lines and how the "rally dash" (think thats what it is called) looks.......so plans are to hopefully find a 70 Roadrunner Convertible when the time comes........I am defenitly a "ram air guy...my 442 has the OAI (outside air intake ) option.......but (and here comes the question), how hard would it be to "add" a 69 Dodge Coronet R/T Ram Air System to a 70 RR hood ( do know the R/T hood will not fit on the RR), I like the R/T's system better. Been looking in the restoration catalogs (Year One & Classic Industries) and some of the other restoration part dealers in the internet and looks like one can find all the parts needed to do this.......just wondering if it has been done and if so how hard is it? Do the shop manuals show how it all fits together? Did see the 70 Plymouth with a Dodge Coronet R/T front clip & RA Hood on it in this month's Car Craft magazine (the "Road Bee" very "kool") but that seems out of my league (I am just a weekend warrior). I know holes would have to be cut in the hood and somehow mounting holes drilled for the system, edtc...........any thoughts would be appreciated. Taking the time I have to learn as much as I can before making the leap...........
thanks

A Mopar "newbie" in Michigan

- - - Updated - - -

Just really like the way the R/T Ram Air Hood looks with the twin scoops.......
Nothing against the Air Grabber

Just curious ast to why you don't like the air grabber that was factory for 70?

That has got to be one of the highest "cool factors" ever.

You can even buy a brand new repro one right now.

IIRC, the Dodge setup is not any more functional from a "ram" standpoint, and not nearly as cool.

Auto Transport Service
Back