• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 gtx

So grabbed a hand full of hardware to blast last night while trying to figure out the window. I came across the ground wire that goes from dash to steering column. It looks good but I made a new one and soldered the terminals to make sure I have good connections. Anyone looking for a good OEM for their restoration? # on the original is 2857741 96555A.
ground1.jpg
ground.jpg

Tim, are saying that the quarter glass is not going any more forward toward the door glass seal as you crank the window?

yes, hits top before getting forward. I think I may have the glass in the seal, instead of on the outside of the seal so going to try that tonight. I bought aftermarket AMD glass so not sure if it's the glass or something I'm missing at this point. I dug out my old glass last night so I can compare it tonight.
BTW how's yours been running?

Sooo I tried again tonight with the quarter glass. First I pulled the seal out of the roof trim, turns out there's some adjustments there so I slid the bracket all the way towards the inside.
IMG_20200218_154612486.jpg
IMG_20200218_154612486.jpg

The very last screw on this didn't have any adjustment so I left it out for now. This moved the seal inboard allowing it to start on the out side of the seal. This in turn let the window go up farther. So then I started working on the adjustments. SUCCESS!
IMG_20200218_161326030.jpg
IMG_20200218_161326030.jpg

Sorry for the double pictures. I'm so relieved to have one side done! The other side should go much quicker and easier. Thanks everyone for your help!

yes, hits top before getting forward. I think I may have the glass in the seal, instead of on the outside of the seal so going to try that tonight. I bought aftermarket AMD glass so not sure if it's the glass or something I'm missing at this point. I dug out my old glass last night so I can compare it tonight.
BTW how's yours been running?

Glad you got it. Saw the post about you trying the window up the outside of the weatherstrip, which is how mine is. Smooth sailing from here on out. That glass is a pain in the butt.

Mine is running great. Weather has been 50's to 70's and no issues. Still enjoy driving it as often as I can.

I'm still not sure which is correct. I've seen them installed both ways now. It would make sense to be in the seal instead of on the outside. But at least I now have a starting point.

I'm still not sure which is correct. I've seen them installed both ways now. It would make sense to be in the seal instead of on the outside. But at least I now have a starting point.
The seal has a channel formed in it that the windows go into. When installed, it is at an angle so the inside of the channel hangs lower than the outside. The quarter glass only goes about 3/16” into it. You can move the stainless roof rail in and out so it all lines up. There are also track adjusters to move the window in and out.

F0B8C64D-AC95-4EFA-996C-5C4BF0821C1A.jpeg

Amazing how a little adjustment can cause so much grief. Glad you got it sorted out.

What you do when you're a clip short.... some steel banding and wha la!
IMG_20200219_105800549.jpg

Last edited:
So, did a little more tweaking on the window and I think I have it finally where I want it. Got it in the seal and mated with the door window. I had to tweak the door glass also but feel I'm close enough for now. I'll let the seals
IMG_20200220_160142761.jpg
take a set from the windows for a couple months, then revisit them.

So it seems as if Murphy's law is tormenting Joel (hunt2elk) and me. I think he's seeing who will crack first. Over the weekend I found my painter didn't do the backside of the panels that go on the inside for the 1/4 glass. So last night I stopped by the store and had them mix me a pint. So first thing tomorrow when I get home I will be doing a little painting.

IMG_20200220_151559418.jpg

IMG_20200220_165548340.jpg
IMG_20200220_162616175.jpg

All scuffed, washed and ready to mask. Hopefully I get these painted with out any grief. Then I will start on the passenger side glass. I hope to get this all wrapped up by Sunday night.

So it seems as if Murphy's law is tormenting Joel (hunt2elk) and me. I think he's seeing who will crack first. Over the weekend I found my painter didn't do the backside of the panels that go on the inside for the 1/4 glass. So last night I stopped by the store and had them mix me a pint. So first thing tomorrow when I get home I will be doing a little painting.

View attachment 912673

Is that leopard skin print for another project?:D

So first on the list for the weekend went well. Painted the inside upper panels for the quarter windows. Painter didn't get the backside lips for fuzzys and door jam.
IMG_20200221_165055358.jpg
made sure I taped off screw holes. If you look close you can see the edge of the tape where the new and old paint meet isn't pressed all the way down. My good friend taught me this trick. It's help reduce the hard edge between the 2.

I reduced the single stage paint about 33% with medium reducer. Put a light tack coat on, 65 degrees in garage. Waited 15 minutes and put the final coat on, then immediately remove tape at edges. Turn out pretty good, no seam and it even matched!
IMG_20200221_174534410.jpg
IMG_20200221_174548010.jpg
IMG_20200221_174551510.jpg

Well it only took me 5 hours to get the passenger side glass in today!
IMG_20200222_123404731.jpg
IMG_20200222_123404731.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back