• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Plymouth rear window, advise pls

Rich H.

Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
I popped the rear window out of my '69 GTX to repair sheetmetal.
I've owned the car about three decades, give or take.

I've been told the rear window does not use a gasket just sealer and/or butyl tape, and I can't find anyone who sells a gasket.

When I pulled the window out, imagine my surprise after 30 years of ownership when I found remnants of a gasket underneath it, spacer blocks around the edge, and sealer/butyl caulk on top.

Is this original, or the repair work of some hack from the past/before i owned it?
If it's supposed to have a gasket, who sells one?

Thanks

3M makes a Butyl tape kit that was used on the back windows and with the kit comes two rubber blocks.
You can use either the 3/8" or 5/16" kit. Be careful with the clip placement! No gasket was ever used.
Good Luck! I have to put my rear one in pretty soon!

Here ya go!
20210108_143521.jpg
20210108_143455.jpg

I just purchased my kit on Amazon with free shipping for $17.99 plus tax!

Last edited:
Glad to hear! Maybe it was warm out and everything settled in nicely?
I have most of my old clips, and I purchased new kits so I'll be matching
them up. Heard alot of horror stories about the new clips! Your moldings
look super!

I don't see 1/16" making a big difference. I used a heat gun to warm the interior package tray area and pushed the glass down to get a nice seal. The trim had better look nice, as my paint guy sent it all out to the most expensive chrome and trim polish guy in Canada... before he'd told me he did so!

I don't see 1/16" making a big difference. I used a heat gun to warm the interior package tray area and pushed the glass down to get a nice seal. The trim had better look nice, as my paint guy sent it all out to the most expensive chrome and trim polish guy in Canada... before he'd told me he did so!
OUCH! I can polish my own Stainless! I just love it when other people spend my money. That's why I have a Wife!
I've heard 1/16th does make a diff, but with the 3/8", you have the extra material for sealing. Those back glasses
always leaked and rusted the corners out and the trunk floors. Yeah, I looked at
Advance and O'reilley's and they were more expensive and no ne had them in
stock close by.

They don't rust out from the window leaking, they rust out because of the shape of the window and the water sits on the outside in both corners.

Auto Transport Service
Back