• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Road Runner Head Restraints (head rests)

CandianRunner69

Local time
7:07 PM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I currently have a bench seat setup in my RR. The question I have is, can you install head rests into the current seat configuration? And what would be involved with making that happen ?

Thanks

G

Not sure if the bench had rests; but seem to think they did. Could be hardware within the seat back for rests. I had rests installed on my ’63 buckets using later 60’s rests that wasn’t a big effort attaching loops to affix the bars to the frame. Only thing is they’re not fully adjustable; but do the job I needed having a partial neck fusion where a whiplash could do me in.

DSCN1349.JPG IMG_20170102_192156_946.jpg

FYI bench seat headrests are different than bucket seat headrests.

FYI bench seat headrests are different than bucket seat headrests.
Are you describing the style of the rest or how they are mounted? I recollect headrests on bench seats in the late 60’s as an option before standard. There were holes in the cross frame for the posts to drop into (I think; don’t know for sure). Seem to remember seeing this on naked frames prompting my thought. Could be those might be there on seats that didn’t have the rests when they became available?

You are in Canada, so U.S. rules don't apply. However, as of 1,1, 69 US required headrests. Very early build 69s, may or may not have had headrests, but after about early November 68, everything had them, bench or bucket. Chances are that even if you don't have them now, your seats have provision for them.
Now, you just have to find some.......
My April 69 built rr bench definitely has headrests, obviously.

Are you describing the style of the rest or how they are mounted? I recollect headrests on bench seats in the late 60’s as an option before standard. There were holes in the cross frame for the posts to drop into (I think; don’t know for sure). Seem to remember seeing this on naked frames prompting my thought. Could be those might be there on seats that didn’t have the rests when they became available?
Buckets have molded headrests and bench has upholstered.

Hope all this is helpful for the OP. I got a fantastic deal on my headrests off of flea-bay for 25 bucks and looked brand new as the photo shows. Had to have them recovered though for the red insides.

Auto Transport Service
Back