• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 roadrunner Heater box disassembly question

national

Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
I know its pretty simple to take apart,It is a straight heater box,no AC..I have some fiberglass breaking off where the clips go I guess I just re fiberglass them? The main question I have is the door in the center of box(I think its the heat door behind heater core) how do you get the shaft out so I can clean the door & redo foam,I dont see any set screws or anything,wouldnt think the pin would just hammer out,any help? It has a metal plate on top that looks riveted in that is trying to come loose,what do you do if that comes loose?

It's been awhile but I remember drilling some rivets out and just putting new ones in once I was done. They're pretty straight forward and your right about fixing it with fiberglass.

I just did mine, yes you will have to drill those rivets out to get the door off. I went back together with flush head machine screws and nylock nuts. Had some trouble finding rivets that fit right.

I just used standard rivets and put them in from the inside to keep the tube end from interfering with the door. The correct rivets are easy to find but the tool to set them is expensive for a one time use. The rivets are semi tubular rivets. You could use peel type rivets too.

the bracket will have to be removed by either drilling or carefully grinding the head of the rivet. once the bracket has been removed there is a "c" clip that is hidden by the bracket. remove the "c" clip and open the door fully and you should be able to get the door out. also remove the metal bracket that the door seals against by removing the 4 screws.

I just used standard rivets and put them in from the inside to keep the tube end from interfering with the door. The correct rivets are easy to find but the tool to set them is expensive for a one time use. The rivets are semi tubular rivets. You could use peel type rivets too.

Exactly why I went with flush head screws from the inside ! I think I had trouble getting my rivet gun inside the box, can't remember exactly

Thanks everyone for the help,I got it apart now,after removing the rivits the c-clip was there to allow removal..Does anyone on here or know of anyone that rebuilds the blower motors on these?
Thanks,Brian

the bracket will have to be removed by either drilling or carefully grinding the head of the rivet. once the bracket has been removed there is a "c" clip that is hidden by the bracket. remove the "c" clip and open the door fully and you should be able to get the door out. also remove the metal bracket that the door seals against by removing the 4 screws.

Auto Transport Service
Back