• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'69 Roadrunner Resto-Mod electrical question

inri

Local time
3:33 PM
Reaction score
I'm converting my '69 RR to a Gen 3 Hemi. I've yanked the engine, transmission and gas tank. I recently purchased the efi tank with in-tank pump and new fuel float sending unit. I would like to test the float for accuracy prior to installing the tank in the car.

I have the battery located in the truck connected to a kill switch. I have removed the middle (2nd) bulkhead connector in the engine bay; it was old, corroded, but worked. I will be replacing it with a new one very soon. I don't know where to run the positive and negative battery connections now so that I can get power to the car, specifically the gauges to test the fuel sending unit. Do I need the middle bulkhead connector for this?

Right now I have the positive battery cable and negative cable dangling in the engine bay. The car used an MSD 6AL and coil with the starter relay in the prior setup. I no longer have the msd or coil, but the relay is still there.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Shorthorse. I'll wait till I get the middle connector.

In looking at the drawings it appears the positive battery cable will go to the top of the starter relay and the negative can ground to the frame?

Thanks.

Run the positive to the starter. It needs a lot of current. Same gauge to the starter relay because it feeds the rest of the car. Ground to the frame and ground the motor too.

I called Evans Wiring this morning and the rep said that he would need to know more about the Gen 3 Hemi engine and what it needs for power etc., because he didn't want to sell me a middle bulkhead with things that the new engine won't need.

I said that the engine requires it's own computer/management system. The rep said that he isn't familiar enough with these conversions to sell the middle bulkhead or with just some of the wires. He said it needs power to it somehow.

So..............Has anyone converted to a Gen 3 Hemi? If so can you attach a pic of the middle bulkhead connector and or let me know if any engine bay wiring for the car, not the new Hemi and it's computer was different. This is for a B-body '69 RR.

I'd sure like to get this ordered correctly to keep making progress.

Thanks.

It sounds like the guy thinks you want the connector wired specifically for your engine swap.
If you look at the drawing "B", you will see that the connector contains -
+ to the ammeter
+ from the ammeter
Temp gauge lead
Ignition lead to the ballast resistor
Field wire to alternator
wiper motor
Horn relay
Oil pressure switch
I would think that any electrical changes will be done during the swap but most all of these wires still need to be present. I would just order the stock wiring replacement for now.

Thanks Shorthorse.
I was actually thinking the same thing regarding just buying the connector, but was talked out of it by Evans when it appeared he wasn't sure himself.

Thanks for the feedback. Order will go down tomorrow morning!

OK.....
I called Evans Wiring and feel like I'm back to square 1. Reason being the rep. (Mr. Evans?) isn't familiar with the new Gen 3 Hemis and asked if I needed a points or elec setup. I said elec. Then he said do you need a distributor wire or is it coil pack. I said it's coil pack. Then he said that you may have wires that you don't need or you'll have to modify. Then he said that the end plugs may be different than what you need. He said you may or may not need the wire to the so on and so on ETC. ETC.

I don't know the newer engines as well as the 400's or 440's so I didn't want to order the wrong part. Is there someone here who has made the conversion to a newer engine and if so what type of engine bay harness did you use; i.e. original, electronic or points. Did you have to make any modifications etc? My old engine was a 440 with msd coil, starter relay etc.

Lastly, Evans wiring has been very helpful but since he isn't familiar with the newer engine swaps I am open to seeing if someone else can recommend another company that I can make the purchase from.

Thank you all!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back