• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Satellite front height

Mario Keller

Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
Hello,

I try to tell long story short. After 5 years of restoration my 69 Satellite I finally made it on the road. It's a 318cui with a a904. After doing some hundred kilometers I have some minor problems I want to get rid of.
1st was a leaking water cooler. Got it soldered. Done.
2nd is a leaking tranny. Transmission is rebuilt. I try to eliminate leaking by installing a transgo tf2 shift kit with a new pan gasket. Looking forward to get that fixed.
3rd one is what I do not understand. Front suspension lower control arm on driver's side does knock on front frame rail while going harder right curves or rough roads.
I tried to set it on original height. I think it is still very high in rear.
Is this a common problem, or did I make some mistake while welding on the front frame rail?
Is there a possibility to get more slack between lca and frame rail?
Maybe one could be so nice and post a picture of an original situation lca to frame rail (original height and no welding on frame rail).

Thanks for help.
Mario

Ride height set too low OR weak torsion bar OR install a front sway bar.

Other possibilities: broken torsion bar mount in frame OR loose LCA pivot nut.

Also worth noting: the ride height should be adjusted with the nuts loose on the lower control arm pivots. The nuts should then be tightened with the car in the static position (all four wheels on the ground carrying the full weight of the car)

OK. Thanks for these suggestions.
What I will do next is to change lca bushings. Then I will install them like you said, with all wheels on the ground.

But I don't understand you saying that ride height is too low. It's not low, I try to be on original height level. But the higher I get, the closer the lca torsion bar mount gets to the frame rail.
I would have no problem with a lower ride height. But I don't like the car being too low in front.

But the higher I get, the closer the lca torsion bar mount gets to the frame rail.
This makes no sense at all. The LCA torsion bar mount is the pivot into the K-frame. It can't move !!

Its time to post some photos !!

Auto Transport Service
Back