• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Satellite Rear is too high

What rear springs are on the car now? Something does look wonky about the rear portion of them,
at least in the one pic we've been provided thus far.

I don't know nothing about the rear springs. I used them because they came with the car. Maybe first thing is to measure them. Overall they are 55,7 inch long. And as I mentioned 5 1/2leafs.

What dimensions should original rear springs have?

I don't know nothing about the rear springs. I used them because they came with the car. Maybe first thing is to measure them. Overall they are 55,7 inch long. And as I mentioned 5 1/2leafs.

What dimensions should original rear springs have?

From the 1969 Field Service Manual:

1671523926940.png

From the 1969 Field Service Manual:

View attachment 1390043
Thank you, I know this sheet. But it won't tell me what I have in my car.
I measured again. They are 58" long. They have 5 1/2 leafs. They have Arch of 6,5" and the pack is 1,73" thick.
For me the thickness of the pack was the key. I think it's some kind of heavy duty springs. So as the rest of the dimensions are OK, I think I can go with a lowering block.

I would wonder if you have a factory set of springs on the car. The shortest bottom spring will have the part number stamped in it. That is where I would start if I was working on an OE type of restoration. Usually by the time the springs are this old they are sagging and have to be re-arched. If you are just doing a "rebuild" ignore this advice.

If you have stock front spring hangers and rear shackles the springs must be over-arched. Additional leaves over stock wouldn't raise the car that much. I'll bet that the shocks are almost at full extension.

The second picture is my car with 225/70/14’s the first picture I have 205/75/15’s on the front and 28/11.50-15’s on the rear , I do not have stock springs on the car, somebody replaced them with hemi springs (5 on rear 7 front half) about 57 inch bolt to bolt, I have stock shocks and turned the front bars up some

8714E5BE-BBCB-4CC9-8375-A353665AD1C6.png

5770294F-DE48-439B-B0E3-F08CDF0E34A1.png

7BB1BF7F-E6F6-4A83-8693-BCF0C252351C.jpeg

If you have stock front spring hangers and rear shackles the springs must be over-arched. Additional leaves over stock wouldn't raise the car that much. I'll bet that the shocks are almost at full extension.
Oh yes, that's a good advice. At what extension level should the rear shocks be?

IMG-20220621-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20220621-WA0022.jpg

IMG-20220621-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20220621-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yes, that's a good advice. At what extension level should the rear shocks be?

I don't have an exact measurement for you, but the rear shocks should not top out at any point during the the rear suspension rebound travel. Rough estimate - the rear height is taking up at least 3 inches of shock travel.

Just try loosening the spring bolts that go through the rubber grommets in the spring
There’s only 4
If they were tightening without the weight of the car on them they will hold the car in the air
It only takes about 15 minutes and you don’t even need a jack

Auto Transport Service
Back