• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6x9 speakers...opinions

moparfanUSA

Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score
Putting 2 6x9's in the charger, what kind of speakers do you recommend?
Using 4-8 ohm SST secret audio stereo. Looks like if I do not want to cut the grilles in the package tray I will have to put spacers to lower them because most have the tweeter above the frame.

0E2886D1-4E81-433D-8A37-E73A7EA04720.png
C17688F1-7CE2-4DF3-843B-C548A087C905.png
Mount them from underneath and the tweeter will still fit and you won’t have to use the speaker grills.
The 4x10 was used in the dash.

Last edited:
I ran 6x9 2 way speakers in my 68 coronet. Mounted them from underneath the package tray with shorter screws so they don't poke through the top. Plus changing them will be a breeze !

JBL makes some good stuff, I have been abusing a pair of their GTO series 6x9's for 10 years and they just keep on providing good quality performance!!!!

Those pioneers suck, had them in my wifes car ,now they are in the golf cart. .
Went back with JBL GX963 & sound is really good for a speaker <$100.
If you want to upgrade Boston Acoustics Infinity or Fosgate TMs69 are good...you get what you pay for in car audio...

Those pioneers suck, had them in my wifes car ,now they are in the golf cart. .
Went back with JBL GX963 & sound is really good for a speaker <$100.
If you want to upgrade Boston Acoustics Infinity or Fosgate TMs69 are good...you get what you pay for in car audio...
What didn’t you like about them? I have them in my car and they sound great. There only about a month old and the reviews were also good.

I assume some of the rear package trays came with 2 6x9 holes. Some with a 6x9 and a 6x4 Is that correct?

What didn’t you like about them? I have them in my car and they sound great. There only about a month old and the reviews were also good.
They didn't have any bass, very distorted and very limited on power capibility. Sound was terrible....

I used Blaupuncts 6 X 9 Coaxial speakers in my '66 Ply Sat. No cutting and no spacers...cr8crshr/Tuck:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Here is an AMD repop package tray. Speaker on left is 4x6 and the one on the right is 6x9 I didnt think they had 2 6x9 holes.
106-640-1468.jpg

I particularly like my Infinity Kappa series speakers. Good clean sound with a high nominal (rms) power handling.
I also like Kenwoods.
IMO, drive them with a quality amplifier that also has a high rms output.

I have had Pioneer, as the basic go to set up. Fine for what they were. It didn’t matter much with the hot rod.

I particularly like my Infinity Kappa series speakers. Good clean sound with a high nominal (rms) power handling.
I also like Kenwoods.
IMO, drive them with a quality amplifier that also has a high rms output.

I have had Pioneer, as the basic go to set up. Fine for what they were. It didn’t matter much with the hot rod.

The Infinity Kappa speakers are nice clean sounding and high sensitivity (more sound out per amount of power to drive them.)
Like most of these type of speakers, not great at the low frequency range for deep bass. If you want the deep bass for full range of sound you also need a subwoofer

Putting 2 6x9's in the charger, what kind of speakers do you recommend?
Using 4-8 ohm SST secret audio stereo. Looks like if I do not want to cut the grilles in the package tray I will have to put spacers to lower them because most have the tweeter above the frame.
When I did mine years ago, I don't remember the brand of the speakers but they were quality speakers. At the same time, I put in a rebuilt original AM radio; but what I found was that I also had to install an amp to boost power to the speakers so that they could be heard over the car's engine. Don't know if others have experienced that as well, but I wanted to throw it out there.

The Infinity Kappa speakers are nice clean sounding and high sensitivity (more sound out per amount of power to drive them.)
Like most of these type of speakers, not great at the low frequency range for deep bass. If you want the deep bass for full range of sound you also need a subwoofer
What are these types?

I should have also noted that the Infinity speakers were a 5X7 in my ‘79. I did have a sub woofer in the system. A 10 inch Pioneer. The 5X7 was a bit lacking in bass. If I didn’t chalk it up to the manufacturer of the speaker. (Also 6-1/2 rounds in the door, a EQ that has front, rear & sub sound and level controls.)

The 6X9 (Kenwoods) have OK bass. Better than any 5X7.
It’s a combo of size and power (besides quality and other parameters) that bass sounds will sound best within. A 6X9 is limited for bass.

I understand a multi speaker system with an amplifier(s) wired in isn’t a route many will take.

Lots of good suggestions, Infinity, Blaupunc and JBL are all great choices. I'm using an all Polk stereo, 6X9s, 6s and a 10" woofer, great quality and sound. I'm very skeptical of Pioneer anymore, probably a nice bargain buy but seeing them at all the low dollar retail stores for cheap concerns me??

I have pioneer 6x9-3 ways in my 70 GTX. I mounted them BEFORE I put the rear glass in and the cover over the tray. I put 1 1/2" machine screws thru the tray from the top and lock nutted them in. I have actually changed them as the first set were cheap *** speakers. The lock nut set up made it easy to change from underneath. The 3 ways sound about a million times better, added some bass and midrange the cheap *** single cone jobs had.

I never remember Pioneer being the “Cheap” speaker but low priced would be accurate in my book. To me, they fit the need for the money, an inexpensive entry level decent sounding speaker. I don’t know how they have become in recent years.

I had a 2-way 6X9 set in my Duster some 30 years ago and IMO they rocked with some power out to them.

After that, it was a 6X9 3 way Pioneer in my ‘73 Cuda’s rear deck. I added a Pioneer 180X2 max, 90 nominal amp.
Whoa! That was loud!

Auto Transport Service
Back