• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7 Qt pan/dipstick reading

BobH

Local time
2:00 PM
Reaction score
Got a 440 Source 7 qt pan on my B motor. Put in seven quarts of oil, spun the oil pump to prelube/fill the filter, and it reads 2 qt low on the dipstick. Is this a normal thing? Not a big deal since I know where it reads when it's full but just curious. It also could be the wrong dipstick since the motor was in pieces when I got the car.

Got a 440 Source 7 qt pan on my B motor. Put in seven quarts of oil, spun the oil pump to prelube/fill the filter, and it reads 2 qt low on the dipstick. Is this a normal thing? Not a big deal since I know where it reads when it's full but just curious. It also could be the wrong dipstick since the motor was in pieces when I got the car.
Are you still using the stock stick?? If so, yeah and remark the stick.

To me a seven quart pan means: seven quarts in the pan.

Fill the pan with 7 quarts. MARK the dipstick. Now prime to fill the filter, lines, etc.. Wait a few minutes and check the level against your new mark and add oil to that level.

Thanks for the responses. My thought was stock five quart pan you put in five, get the filter full, and it reads full on the dipstick. So I was expecting it to read full with seven quarts after priming the system. Like I said, I know where it reads now at seven and don't mind if the oil is further from the crank, just wondered if this was common.

I would think unless you’re trying to lower the oil level in the pan maybe to reduce windage? The stock dipstick mark reads to the level chrysler engineers designed it to run at. I say fill to the full mark.

FWIW, the MP and DC Performance books do recommend recalibrating the dipstick for any increased oil capacity.

Thanks for the responses. My thought was stock five quart pan you put in five, get the filter full, and it reads full on the dipstick. So I was expecting it to read full with seven quarts after priming the system. Like I said, I know where it reads now at seven and don't mind if the oil is further from the crank, just wondered if this was common.
The big pan lowers the oil further away from the crank to help reduce windage and like mentioned in post #10, you can run 6 quarts instead of 7 to lower the level even more. It's highly doubtful that the engine will empty the pan at 6500 rpm. A high volume pump might get close but still not likely.

I would think unless you’re trying to lower the oil level in the pan maybe to reduce windage? The stock dipstick mark reads to the level chrysler engineers designed it to run at. I say fill to the full mark.
Best answer.

The way I understand it he's running an aftermarket 7 quart pan and they do NOT bring up the oil level to the stock 'full line' on the stock dip stick.

Chrysler engineers didn't design it with a 7 quart pan either.

when i welded in a 2.5" lowering plate in my reproduction max wedge oil pan it now holds 8 qts right at the bottom of the splash shields.
after installing i put 8 qts in it, Marked the dip stick, actually at 6, 7, then 8qts, Only then did i spin the pump to prime the system. now i always now how much is in the pan.

IMG_1072.JPG

I'm open to listening to the reasoning behind that
I'm with ya there! Full is full unless it eats oil. If that's the case try running it a quart low and if oil consumption stops have at'r, if it doesn't then the engine is simply sick.

In the aircraft world, air cooled, 4/6/8 cylinder opposed engines are generally 8 or 10 or 12 quart sumps. If you fill them to full the first quart damn near instantly goes out the breather hose and then they stay a quart low for 15 to 20 hours.... so anyone smart fills them a quart shy at oil change.

That said, I have NEVER had this issue with a 340/383/440 or even my Hemi. They run at the full mark and they basically stay at the full mark.... and I certainly don't baby any of them.

Auto Transport Service
Back