• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil pan capacity

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
My 426 has the aftermarket Milodon type pan, the one that is like a dropped down squarish box. Don't know for sure the brand. Milodon and everywhere else I see for this style says pan is 7 qts. So do I fill with 7 qts or plus one for filter? I don't think I can manually pour one qt in filter, maybe it does with engine running.

I used the same pan on my '63. I usually pour a bit into the filter, to "prime" it, but not spill it all over when spinning it on. Just start it, then check it afterwards, and add as needed. A very good Builder once told me, when referring to the General Public, an engine only needs about 2qts of oil to run on, the other 3+ qts, are for the people who NEVER check it !!! I'm sure there was a bit of sarcasm there...

If capacity is unknown, put in 5 quarts and run it to fill the filter. Then add 1 quart at a time until it reaches the full mark on the dipstick.

Add the seven quarts in the pan. Run, than check your dipstick, if not full add one. If the dipstick isn't acterate any more add 7.5.

I used the same pan on my '63. I usually pour a bit into the filter, to "prime" it, but not spill it all over when spinning it on. Just start it, then check it afterwards, and add as needed. A very good Builder once told me, when referring to the General Public, an engine only needs about 2qts of oil to run on, the other 3+ qts, are for the people who NEVER check it !!! I'm sure there was a bit of sarcasm there...
He's probably not far from the truth. With piston engine general aviation aircraft I've seen operators handbooks specifying minimum oil levels for operation as low as 2 quarts for some engines where full is 6-7 quarts. Those are air cooled engines that operate consistently at 65-75% rated power during cruise, therefore that is likely a more severe duty operation than an automotive engine that is basically loafing during steady speed operation down the road or on a highway with some more heavy work during short periods of acceleration. I've never seen automotive engines power settings specified that way like aircraft engines are, but I bet if they were, most engines are only using 25-35% rated power when at a steady speed on a level road.
That being said, I don't run cars or airplanes when over a quart low, though I know that is surely erring on the safe side.

I know someone that ran a very competitive small block stock eliminator with only 3 quarts in the pan…

Stock eliminator, record chasing, that kind of stuff is ok to run it out of oil. Engine is near the end anyways, 2 ready to install for back up.

Now bracket racers on the other hand.. need it to live. That's why they make big pans.

Can't check dip stick, it's not original pan. I know the pan is 7 qts so the question is do I add 1 more(8) or just what I can put in filter?

Last edited:
Can't check dip stick, it's not original pan. I know the pan is 7 qts so the question is do I add 1 more or just what I can put in filter?
You can check the dipstick, it literally puts the oil level exactly where you want it.
Regardless of pan depth. :thumbsup:

You can check the dipstick, it literally puts the oil level exactly where you want it.
Regardless of pan depth. :thumbsup:
OK, I didn't realize that. So all the extra is below. Obviously, the dip stick location(hole) on the new pan has to be at same level as old pan

I know someone that ran a very competitive small block stock eliminator with only 3 quarts in the pan…
There's lots of horsepower to be gained in a real 1/4 mile race motor by not having too much oil. Or at least the exact amount necessary but not over full. An old friend spent big bucks on his SS oil pan per Lambeck's testing to be able to run 2-3 qts. You wouldn't do this on a street car

Unless you're turning 7k or more, you don't even need 7 quarts. If it were mine, I'd pour in 6 or even a bit less (1/2 qt in the filter) then check the stick. If it's on the low mark, that's your fill. If you're running a high volume pump, and turning 7k, you for sure will probably need 7 qts. The biggest reason behind a deep sump pan is to get the oil away from the crank. Oil that's close to a spinning crank gets whipped up creating windage which robs power. When oil gets whipped up, it becomes aerated and is no longer fluid and that's when oil pressure goes away.

Unless you're turning 7k or more, you don't even need 7 quarts. If it were mine, I'd pour in 6 or even a bit less (1/2 qt in the filter) then check the stick. If it's on the low mark, that's your fill. If you're running a high volume pump, and turning 7k, you for sure will probably need 7 qts. The biggest reason behind a deep sump pan is to get the oil away from the crank. Oil that's close to a spinning crank gets whipped up creating windage which robs power.
Whom ever built this did it just for the looks. You bring up a good point, why spend more money for all that oil,

Whom ever built this did it just for the looks. You bring up a good point, why spend more money for all that oil,
I added another sentence to my post.....about when oil gets whipped up it becomes aerated and is no longer fluid and oil pressure goes down.

Auto Transport Service
Back